Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick fix or asking for trouble?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chubby, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Chubby

Chubby Registered Member

Really don't want to mess with or pay for a full 4" lift right now, so what about slappin some add-a-leafs of the front and rear leafs for now? Both fronts/rears are pretty sagged, but I just need to get through the winter and tow a couple times to the trails.....Am I just asking for trouble?

Sorry for the newbie question right off the bat.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Hi, chubby and welcome.

Plenty of folks use add a leaves. I dont think you are asking for any trouble at all in the front or in the rear they can be used in eaither. Of course they will stiffen the ride a bit.

3. Chubby

Chubby Registered Member

Cool...with that said and my willingness to put up with a crappy ride, which add-a-leafs can I use in the front leafs?

4. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the club. Try looking for some used lift springs. They can usually be found for about $150-200 for 4". Also check out your spring and shackle bushings; if they're shot that will probably cause an inch or two of sag. Body mount bushings will also give the impression that the springs are sagged when looking at the truck.

Add-a-leafs should be ok. Whatever you do DON'T use lift blocks on the front.

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Most places sell add-a-leafs for your front spring pack. J.C.Whitney sells Rough Country add-a-leafs for your truck for $59.99 front or $59.99 for the rear ones. It will add about 1.5" to your height while being able to keep the shocks you have. I'd try those and then add the 1" ORD zero rate add-a-leafs for extra, but by then you'll be getting into longer shocks.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've got a set of nearly new Black Diamond 4-inch front springs that I'd part with for $100 plus shipping. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Round up something for the back and you'd have a pretty cheap lift! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

take a look at this, I have them on the frontof my 72' it's a simple lift with a traction bar type design.They are 2" lift....

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif <font color="red">ANGELS IN 6 </font color> /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well at least these can't flip sideways because it's held by the shackles.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Oh Crap!!!!You got to be kidding me /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif!