Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

quick hardware advice needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blue85, May 27, 2004.

1. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Can I use "un-graded" bolts on my U-joint straps?

My 14B s/f has these little U-bolt strap bolts on the yoke. They are 5/16-24 and 3/4" long. They are "reverse Torx" type, which I find really annoying. I want to replace them with a bolt with a different head. I would hate to be unable to change the U-joint on the trail or roadside because of these crappy bolts.

The only Grade 8 bolts I can find have hex heads that are too big. The only thing I can find that fits are standard allen head bolts. I worry about the strength, but the construction of the stock bolts seems pretty bad since the threads are a little worn and the caps are rounded off. How much torque is actually on these things? Anybody put in cheap bolts and have them break? The ones for sale in Auto parts stores are Grade 5, I think.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

just buy a strap kit, here at the local carquest its $5. comes with the straps and hex bolts.

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I've looked at all those. They all have bigger bolts, like what fit both of the old 10-bolt axles. I guess I will look again when I am in stores again.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

You can use a low-grade bolt. The torque spec on those bolts is only around 15 ft-lbs. They aren't there to hold any load...they only keep the strap down. There is no side loading on the bolts from the u-joint either as the yoke takes most of the load.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I wouldn't be scared of the allen head bolts,most of them are at least grade 8,if not grade 10--they are used on a lot of machine shop work and aircraft stuff.Just make sure they arent cheap china imports--look on the box they came in,it should say what grade they are,and the country of origin.I wouldnt use stainless steel though,they are brittle.Beats me how a 5/16 bolt can hold all the tourque of a big block,6.54 to 1 low gear and 4.56 gears,there must be SOME strain on those bolts!. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Just about the only stress/strain they see is from the torque on the bolt.