Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

quick header coatings

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85burbanator, Jan 29, 2006.

1. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i just aquired some headers for my truck but i need to sand blast em. whats a cheap way to coat them with a quality coating. cant afford to get em ceramic coated or anything fancy but will that high temp paint work?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

VHT Flameproof Coating. Awesome stuff. But read the directions carefully! You can't paint them and then install the headers a few days later. You need to install them rigt away and start curing the paint ASAP for best results.

http://www.speco.com.au/vht_flameproof.html#flameproof

3. 85burbanator

did you get that stuff off the site? they dont have any retailers in the usa. wont the coating get everywere if you install the header right after applying?

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

its available in almost any parts store...

just let it flash off some and get em up in there.. if ya rub some off, just touch em up once there in..

i also hear good things about Eastwoods exhaust coatings...

5. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I got the super high temp header/manifold paint from Autozone. Paint 'em throw em on and run engine to bake/cure 'em. Smells like paint burning off for a while but it does a decent job.

6. 85burbanator

about how long has the coating lasted? i need it to last about a year.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

in my experience the "super high temp paint", doesn't even last a year before they are rusted and its all gone.

Jet hot coating my next set of headers. Haven't tried that VHT stuff. Think you could spray it on, then have a powder coater bake them to cure it?

8. trailblazr81

I used the paint a couple times on headers n manifolds. It does OK for the cost. Theres some brush on stuff you can get out of Eastwood catalog. There stuff is pretty good. Tho I too will be getting some cerami-coated headers. Probly Hedman Elite. My stock starter suffers from heat soak cuz its almost touching a header pipe, and I got a mini starter and even with the 4 wat adjustability I cant get it in a good spot. But hey thats what I get for $80 Summit headers. :doah:

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am no longer a fan of just headers. Any headers I buy from now on have to have a 3/8" flange and either come coated or will get coated. A few bucks on a good set of headers is worth it IMO.

10. trailblazr81

Ya I tried the cheap since I didnt want to put alot of $$ into this beater POS. But now I need to get another set of headers or just keep swapping starters. Its fine unless I stop and have to start it again without letting it cool down. Like getting gas, or beer, or the numerous runs I make hauling crap to the dump, etc. The hedmans have 3/8" flange and are made of 14 guage, while most others are 16 or 18. I'd like some Hookers but am not dishing out that much money for this truck. Ive had Hookers n coated Dynomax headers on other rides before and they seemed to fit well.

11. 85burbanator

i picked up can of the VHt in flat red (pimpin), any of you guys try baking it in the oven instead of on the vehicle? for the last baking procedure it says to operate under normal conditions but for me that would involve driving around on open headers and im not sure if i want to do that unless i sit in the drive way and rev the engine for 30 minutes. the can says its a silica * ceramic coating. tomorrow im going to see if the headers will fit in the oven one at a time, if not then i guess ill have to do it on the vehicle. these headers are temperary, im going to get better ones eventually but these will do for now.

12. trailblazr81

I wouldnt put 'em in an oven I put food in. Same reason why you dont bake powdercoat in your food oven. Anyways I dont think I could fit long tube headers n my oven.

13. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

What do you think the temperature difference is between the headers and say...a foot or two past the cat? I ask because I accidently got a bunch of POR 15 on mine and it has lasted perfectly for over a year. I've been wondering if it might be good for the rest of the system?

14. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

don't know if it helps, or if it even works, but i know they sell tape for the same purpose.

15. 85burbanator

ive decided not to use the home oven. it says it dries in 15-30 minutes so im just going to cure them on the vehicle. i think im going to go all out and use there recomended primer on clear coat. prolly get it done sometime during the week or next week when i get time.

16. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That stuff voids the warranty on headers. While it works great at keeping heat inside the headers, it also traps moisture (and road salt for those who live in places where it's used) against the headers and rusts them out quickly. :(

17. trailblazr81

Headers get alot hotter. The exhaust gasses cool as the go through the pipes. And headers are bolted to the engine so they also soak up that heat as well.

18. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

interesting. i was thinking of wrapping my manifolds with that - should i reconsider? i live in oregon where i see alot of rain and not much else. not many trips to the mountain, and very little snow. sorry - hijack over.

19. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

spend your money somewhere else.. it'd be pretty much impossible to wrap a manifold with that stuff properly, and not highly effective... its not so much a tape, but a cloth wrap...

20. 85burbanator

isnt that tape made out of like a fiberglass material? i heard if you soak it in water it reduces the dust and makes it easier to wrap with. im not going to wrap em though. its f'in cold out right now or id work on em.