Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

! QUICK HELP ! - Are rear OEM springs directional? Green paint on one side

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Greg72, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Of course I'm up to my elbows in grease right now, and the springs LOOK to be symmetrical in either direction (They are off an '89 K5 and are STOCK).

The only thing that made me wonder, is that one of the spring eyes is painted with a very obvious GREEN color, presumably to indicate a "direction" that end should be facing? I want to guess that the marked end faces the front of the truck, and obviously I'd install both springs with the green mark facing that way.....

But I wanted to confirm this with someone, hopefully before I get everything bolted together and find out it makes a difference! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Thanks guys!
    /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I wouldn't sweat it Greg.......My rear leaves are from a '74 K5 with add aleaves....I got them without ever seein how they went on the other truck. I just stuck'em in there whatever way I happened to pick'em up. No problems.

3. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Greg,
    I would say to measure from the centering pin to the eye on both sides of the spring. The shorter distance side should go towards the front of the truck. That way the spring rate would be taken head on while driving forward. When the guy on here with that k30 truggy had those 57 inch Fords on backwards with the long side towards the front he said he wore out the springs faster..(he inverted them also but that's a whole nother story)
    Blake

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If they are stock they should be symetrical, if they are not then check the center pin, the shorter side goes on the front unless you want to move your axle back then flip them.
    Just make sure you have them both the same.