Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

quick help .....freeze plugs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by screamer*145, Dec 3, 2004.

1. screamer*145

screamer*145 1/2 ton status

what is the best way to remove one of the block freeze plugs?

all ideas welcom /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Take a long bar and hammer, knock the freeze plug in towards the block from the edge. Ideally it will pivot in the center and you can pull it out with pliers. Worst case it will fall inside the block and you'll have to fish it out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

If its a real hard to get at one,a dent puller with a screw thread tip on it with a slide hammer will pull it out--I've seen guys mig weld a washer on edge to them and pry them out using the hole in the washer as a prying point too--usually getting them back in while the motor is in the truck that is the tricky part!! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. screamer*145

no need to put a new one back in putting in a block heater! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif hopfully no more hard starts up hear in minnesota! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. screamer*145

ok!... bad news it fell in so how do i get it out now? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You will have too fish it out somehow--a magnet might help,once you get it near the hole you can grab it with water pump pliers and twist it out--some guys just leave it in the block,but I wouldnt--it could cause a clog,or restrict the coolant flow and make it overheat. Patience is a virtue in cases like this.At least its not the one behind the flex plate or motor mount pads--or is it??? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

7. bigyellowjimmy

Like was said, a magnet works well to get the plug at the hole, then use needle nose vise grips or something to latch on to it so it wont fall back in. Then get some pliers and yank it out. Carefully inspect the block and clean up the sealing surface with a light sanding, lube the o-ring on the block heater with antifreeze or something that wont distort the rubber. Tighten snug with a 1/4" drive but dont over-do it, you can twist the little bolt of easily. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

And hope it isn't a brass freeze plug,,,

I'd just leave it in there, isn't going anywhere, it's at the bottom of the block, he lives in a cold climate area, don't think it will cause a problem.

9. bigyellowjimmy

Most are not brass but if it is he can fish it to the hole and pull it out. Ive done many of these up in WY and I never left a plug in the block on a customers vehicle and neither did any of my mechanics. I wouldnt recommend leaving the old plug in the coolant passage but I know its been done before.