Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick Help! MSD Cap and Rotor removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chris_T, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I'm in the driveway replacing my cap and rotor (points style, '72 Blazer) because of an intermittant miss and I can't figure how the hell to get the MSD rotor off.

Rather than the typical screws holding the rotor on it has nylock nuts on the top and Phillips head (I think, by feel) screws on the bottom - no problem right? Sure, except I can't get a socket onto the nut (about 5/16") because the rotor is too thick and I can't get to the screw head on the bottom.

Any ideas, tips or tricks?

2. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Chris..my man....
    Sounds like you will have to pull the distributor,,,punch out the roll pin, take the gear off, and pull out that entire shaft to get to the screw heads on the rotor. I'm sure you know how to do this...you just don't want to ! Call me if you need help 314-831-4077. What are you doing August 14 ? Help me unload my U-Haul truck !

Blake

3. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I'll make you a deal - I'll help you unload, you help me move my stuff across town the same weekend - moving to a new place.

I really don't want to have to pull the distributor for this thing. I had a local race shop in Edmonton build and curve this one for me - you can be sure that rotor isn't going to work its way loose, but what a PITA! I may be able to clearance the cap with a Dremmel to get a socket on it, but needless to say, it didn't get done last night. I did get in there with a file to clean up the terminals, so we'll see if that helps the truck.

Gonna make it to the Fall Crawl Blake?

4. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Chris,
    Sounds like a deal ! PM me with your number. I'll call you when I arrive mid-day on the 14th.

I have to play at the Mizzou game on the 13th i believe....But i will be there saturday night and sunday if all works out as planned.

Blake