Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick Help - MSD cap and rotor

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris_T, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Just posted in the garage, but thought the 1st gen guys might have a trick up their collective sleeves:

I'm in the driveway replacing my cap and rotor (points style, '72 Blazer) because of an intermittant miss and I can't figure how the hell to get the MSD rotor off.

Rather than the typical screws holding the rotor on it has nylock nuts on the top and Phillips head (I think, by feel) screws on the bottom - no problem right? Sure, except I can't get a socket onto the nut (about 5/16") because the rotor is too thick and I can't get to the screw head on the bottom.

Any ideas, tips or tricks?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

That sounds wierd???
    Pics?
    Is the rotor a full circle or or the oval smaller one?
    Is the Dist. stock GM style?
    I took out my old stock points style some years ago and if I remember I had the old oval style rotor the would just pull off the dist shaft with no tools at all. Fit real snug and you just pull up on it and it would come off??

3. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I've got a points style distributor modified with a Crane optical trigger and MSD cap and rotor. I had it built by a local speed shop - I guess they installed the nylock nuts to keep it secure or because the screws interfered with the optical trigger. I can tell you, it ain't moving!

In any case it didn't come off last night - just cleaned up the terminals. At this point my options are probably to break the old rotor or clearance it with a Dremmel or something like that to get a socket on it. Pulling the distributor to change the rotor is not high on my list of things to do.

I'll get some pics and post them.

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

ahhh gotcha
    Good luck too ya!!

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just yank the distributor. it's really simple to drop back in in the same place you pulled it out. No biggie.

6. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Yeah, but it's more the principle of the thing ..I shouldn't have to pull it to change the rotor, lol.

I may end up doing that, but modifying the new cap and/or studs so I can get the damn thing off next time.