Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick HELP!!! My upper clutch rod bent..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by swamp donkey, Oct 23, 2002.

1. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

the dealer seems clueless (of course) and I don't know what to do.
    My clutch rod (from clutch pedal linkage inside the cab through the firewall ) bent what is the part number? where or how do I get one? My truck is a 69, not that that matters.

2. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i looked through chevy duty parts book and didnt find anything.might be a good idea to start thinking about the hydro clutch assymbly.

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

My 1964-66 GMC's are very good for that! I once was stranded in Portland with a full load on a 12' Flatbed and barely any tools with me. Stopped at a church to look at a truck parked there for sale and when I pushed in the clutch to go the rod bent for good.

Luckily the guy who was selling the truck gave me a piece of rebar that I hose clamped to the rod and was able to drive home that night. I drove the truck like that for almost 6 months before selling it...

My permenant solution is going to be a Grade 5 or 8 threaded rod with pieces made to thread on each end and a jam nut to hold it into place. This should be much stronger than the factory pieces!

4. swamp donkey

Kenny, just got back from home depot and had the same idea. I ended up with a piece of 1/2" all-thread, some thick washers, a couple nuts, and the best I could come up with... an "i" bolt to for each end.
    I will take pictures of it tomorrow, should be quite a looker /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. swamp donkey

Chuli...
    I was going that direction, but decided I would go to an auto. I have all the parts lined up and will make the swap in two weeks. sigh.