Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

QUICK HELP NEEDED - np205 question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by swamp donkey, Oct 17, 2002.

1. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

I found a th350/np205 combo for $200 bucks. The guy says it works, except 4 high is gone in the t-case. How hard is this to fix? and how much does it cost?
    I have a perfect 205 on my truck now, but it has the 10 tooth sm465 spline. Can I just steal parts from one to make the other work?
    I need a quick answer as this tranny will go fast and I don't want to miss out on it.

Thanks - Dylan

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes the parts interchange. The cases are identical. The input gears are different (easily swapped). The only possible other differences are if one is slip and the other is fixed rear output yokes (easily swapped though), and one may have a front output flange, while the other is a yoke (but again that is easily swapped). Also see if he will throw in the 350/205 adapter as they are hard and expensive to come by. If you can get it cheap let me know, I might be interested in it. If you have any questions, just PM me.

As far as only 4 hi being gone, the teeth that engage the clutch ring on the front hi gear might be stripped (new front hi output gear and should replace the clutch ring but should be under $75 if you shop around). If it was also missing 4 low I would have said the roll pin broke/clutch ring teeth shot/broken linkage. The 205 is pretty stout (about as stout as they come), so it shouldn't be too far gone assuming that is the only thing wrong with it.

Hope this helps.

3. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

You want to go auto, right? I'd snap it up. There's no way you wouldn't get your $200 back if it turned out you didn't want to use it