Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick Horsepower Gains?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 82Jimmy, Nov 7, 2000.

1. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I got the k&n, got the big cam, got the aluminum intake, got the 750cfm carb, got headers, run super gas now, I also use really hot plugs...still not enough...what else? I have a 350 transmission and a 383....I had to take my 400 crank out because it was making my engine lope and turn over funny...

..........and one time at band camp.........

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

NOS!!!! NOS!!!! NOS!!!! NOS!!!! NOS!!!! NOS!!!! NOS!!!! NOS!!!! NOS!!!! NOS!!!! NOS!!!! NOS!!!! NOS!!!! NOS!!!! NOS!!!! NOS!!!! NOS!!!! NOS!!!! Get you heads ported then extrude honed. And you could run race fuel.

"Lord have mercy on my next thirty years"

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

4. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

why do u run really hot plugs? shouldn't need those, they might actually hurt performance. Now you need head work to make a sizable diff. Or a 150HP shot of NOS would do, too.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Just stuff an 8-71 blower on it, and NOS![​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

6. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

What size tires and gears are you running?

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Forgot the combination, but you can get longer rocker arms for the intake and shorter for the exhaust, or vise versa, one way gives more torque the other gives more ponys. Why you looking for so much horsepower? You got a blazer drag circuit where your at or something?

Don't you buy no ugly truck!

8. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

1:6 on exhaust and 1:5 on the intake for torque, vice-versa for HP. As for the ultimate HP gains, strap on a General Electric F101 with burner, 33,000 pound thrust class then hold on. Fuel flow in full aug will be 64,000 pounds per hour (at 6.5 pounds per gallon). Word of caution, after about the third launch, you'll have a smile that truly would go from ear to ear.....

9. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

Wheels, can you buy that from Summit??[​IMG][​IMG]

Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]

10. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

What kind of pistons do you have. If you are running dish tops then you are losing power there. Change over to flat tops or find yourself a set of 64CC heads. If you have standard heads now they are 76CC and it takes compression to make horsepower.

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

You can buy an F101 (or some other fighter jet engine) if you've got about $3 million to spend!!

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

12. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm running about 8.5:1 compression, and I have the comp cams high preformance rocker arms...I have little tires (235's) My ass end on the jimmy is sagging bad and that will be next. I like more high end hp and not so much lowend since i screwed the last set of gears and messed up the ol' tranny. Will a rebuilt 700r4 give me any better power? My gears are 2.72 (or 2.75 can't remember) there for the road because my foot got too heavy on my low end. I don't want to race or anything, just want it to go when I want it to...I think I have about 180hp right now, but my damn distributor cap isn't down too good because I haven't adjusted my timing and the freakin thing moves around and loads it up faster. Right now NOS isn't really what I am looking for....that kinda scares me (BOOM!!!!) Also where can you get a refill on those bottles? I know higher compression would be nice, but I want to run on pump gas and I also don't want to buy a new pair of heads...would an electric fan give me a little better hp? I remember someone saying that the belts take away from the engines top preformance. And would a new larger core radiator do any better? I am getting amazing gas mileage right now! 11mpg! So could that improve with a few mods?

13. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

The main reason I run hot plugs is that alll the other spark plugs got BLACK WITH CARBON after a few DAYS! So I got hot plugs and it still does it! Blowers.....aren't they expensive and really bad on gas?

14. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>Follow the steps below, it might get you a few more horses.

1. Take your top off of your Blazer.

2. Eat lots and lots off beans.

3. Hold on for dear life !</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'm not understanding here, you took out the 400 crank because it was too Lopey? So you must have put in a 350 stock crank again? So then you have a 355. In my experience, you're overcarburated. Might want to check into a 600 or 650 unit up to about 300 horse...

[​IMG]

16. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Okay it wasn't exactly a new crank to begin with. It started out good then it was making my engine turn over irregularly. I would make the right side compress more than the left. I thought it was my new camshaft but of course as everything goes I took it out and it wasn't! Also the piston heads weren't balanced correctly. One weighed more than the other....I was going to put the 400 in but my dad said it wasn't working right before so it wouldn't work after. I don't know what my engine has with little pieces of shaved metal! It wears and rounds everything! Just a note, change cam bearings when changing cam shaft if the cam is worn.....saves a little time and tearing the engine apart again.

17. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

I would agree with laketex too much carb. Also you should not keep fouling out plugs should be able to run stock heat range. I would go with an edelbrock 600cfm performer. Also too big of cam will hurt low end power.

18. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Is it possible to be under carbed? I have a 600 cfm rebuilt in my garage...would that be okay to use?

19. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

the 600 carb will be good. what is hurting you is the compression and cubic inches.
    you have a great combo, the cam, the manifold, the carb (the 600 one of course), the flowmasters (i assume you are using headers). you could remove the fan belt, but you wont get that much.
    with the 400 crank are you sure you used the correct the flexplate/flywheel and harmonic damper?
    i would put that 400 crank back in, change the heads to raise compression (9-9.5 for the street will work on pump gas) and VVVVRRROOOOOOM, you will feel the difference!!
    then goes the supercharger and NOS, leave the jet engine for saturday nights......

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

20. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Sorry to say, but there is no magic bolt on that will really help. It sounds like you have a bunch of parts that are fighting with each other. Each part is trying to make power in a different rpm range. You know a K-5 is one hell of a heavy monster, so ya need LOTS of low-end torque (off idle to 4000rpm, this is where your engine spends most of it’s time); remember the twisting action of torque is what gets ya moving, not horsepower. No flame, but the parts you are running are more suited to the strip than the trail. Your gearing is WAAAAAAY to high to do much of anything in the acceleration department. IMHO this is what I would do. Get the pistons balanced to within ½ gram, (dynamic) and stick the 400 crank back in. Yank the cam, and put in a Comp Cams model more suited to low end torque, something in the 260-degree duration or less range. The 1:6 rockers are good and so is the compression, but you need to put that carb and single plane intake back on the racecar. :-) Try to find a good dual plane intake and a carb in the 600cfm range with dual secondaries, remember to take the time to tune it to your engine (or a Holley pro-jection set-up if ya got the $$). Top off with a K&N air filter and finish off with small diameter primary tube headers dumping into a 2 ¼” duals with an “H” pipe and turbo mufflers. No this isn’t a race engine; as a matter of fact it’s rather mild, except for a big ‘ol fat, flat torque curve. This combo in a 351W (bored 0.060 over and with a little head work) produced a whisker over 330 ft-lbs of torque @ 2800 rpm in my old F-250. Next get the gearing to where the engine rpm is in the lower third of that big ‘ol fat torque curve at cruse speed with the tire size you want to run, somewhere around 1600-1800rpm range. Believe me if that combo doesn’t set you back in the seat hard when you stomp the gas, you’re either a top fuel driver, or a fighter pilot. :-)