Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick Hydroboost question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Flamin' Fast, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Flamin' Fast

Flamin' Fast Registered Member

i just converted to hydroboost brakes and now i dont have power brakes or power steering at an idle. i just used the pump that i had on the 350. would using the diesel pump fix my problems?

2. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo 1/2 ton status

your gonna need the hydroboost pump. It makes way more pressure than the one you've got.

3. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

Thje pumps should all be the same(housing would differ not internals). You might try bleeding your system again. Sometimes it won't whine at idle when very low, then when you add more to it it starts to whine and that is when you normally get the bubbles. Keep turning the wheel lock to lock until the bubbles are gone and keep adding fluid till full.

4. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

hmm, count me mistaken.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if 2 hose system 2 hose pump needed. if 3 hose system then 3 hose pump needed.

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The pumps are the same. If you look up the part numbers for just the pump without the rez they will be the same. I have a regular pump on my HB unit with Hydro Assist and it works fine. I would suggest you bleed the system again. With HB you need to bleed the steering as you normally would but you need to press the brake pedal alternatly while turning the wheel left and right. The only way to ensure you get all of the air out of the HB unit is by pressing the brake peddle.

Ira

7. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo 1/2 ton status

No! count me mistaken.

8. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

How did you plumb the return line from the hydro boost unit?

The resevior with the extra fitting (or braze and extra fitting into your resevoir) seems to work much better than tee-ing into the existing PS return line. Must be a volume thing,but that is the experience a few have had here.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  9. Flamin' Fast

ya. i just Tee'd the two return lines together. i never thought about pushing the brake when bleeding the system. i will try that today. expect pictures of my build to be posted soon!

10. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Note that while the tee fitting scares people including me, at the least, consider the directions it's tee'd in. I found these on a web page somewhere...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-- A

11. Flamin' Fast

i have the T installed just like the bottom picture. right now it seems like ther is no power steering and no power brakes no matter what RPM the engine is running at. so i dont know if bleeding the system will help or not

12. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I had mine tee'd at one point and it seemed to work just well enough.

The only thing I noticed is lag when turning the wheel while stopped. Don't notice that with an pump that was listed for hydroboost and has the 2 separate return line ports.

I recently drained the system to do crossover and you have to keep checking the level a lot before it's finally full.

13. Flamin' Fast

i tried bleeding the system at lunch today with no luck. i think i might have a bad pump. it doesnt seem like it is helping at all now. i have two pumps just sitting in the garage, i will probably try to swap one of those in tonight.

14. Flamin' Fast

everything was working good after i swapped the pump, i had power steering and power brakes! but then after driving for a few miles the pump started to push the fluid out of the cap to the power steering resivoir, and now i have no power assist. what would cause the pump to do this?

15. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

While looking for a hydroboost pump at the JY, I ran across a few diesel factory application where they teed the return line.

16. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Overheating (PS fluid) is the first thing that comes to mind. Is it white and foamy?

-- A

17. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

A large air bubble will do it also as the air will expand faster than the fluid will when it warms up. The air will get trapped and push fluid out of the rez. I would still check level and do the bleed procedure. Sometimes it can take hours to get all of the air out.

Ira