Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick (kinda) question on The Da Vinci Code

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by XHitman396, Nov 29, 2005.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

well i know there is a whole 'nother post about this exact thing, but i am afraid if i read any further it may give it all away, or just too much.. well i am thinking about starting reading, i dont know why, ive always hated it, but what the hell, eh? so is this right: first comes Angels and Demons (is this thing any good, how long?), then comes The Da Vinci Code (i hear about this thing all the time), and that's it so far? so is there any particular amount of knowledge about religion or something in the past i should have in order to understand it (e.g. if you see Lord of the Rings 3, and not the ones before, you probably wont know what the hell is going on, and wont 'get' a bunch of stuff). so those few questions are all i ask or want, sorry to be blunt but i had one librarian ruin one of the best books ive ever read for me, and didnt realize it til the very end, so i now despise all who desire to do this.. and sorry for the novel, no pun intended.. thank you for your input.

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'd advise you to put your efforts elsehwere. There is no particular amount of religious knowledge you need to have because the book spells it out...however, by about 1/3 of the way through things become incredibly predictable and boring.

Great read for the average public, but not stimulating after the first 80 pages at all. Angels and Demons is a far better read, albeit still slightly predictable and unrealistic.

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I would say that you need a basic knowledge of both the bible and world history.

4. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

If you don't have an in depth understanding of the bible, you'll probably enjoy the book ( and upcoming movie ) more.

Otherwise, the inaccuracies and contradictions will drive you nuts.

read away, and enjoy it for what it is.

Tom

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

both are good book's i have read probally over 200 books in my life, these are among the top.
    i readl davinci first, than angles, i dont think it really matters eaither way.
    I got the books with all the pictures in them, made it cooler to read being able to see what they were talking about

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Both good reads, don't need any prep on religion to read them. I thought they were good, entertaining books. Not literary landmarks by any means but very entertaining.

7. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I know very little about religion and I loved the Da Vinci Code. It was a great STORY. Leave your love of christianity out of the book, otherwise dont bother reading it. I also enjoy the fact that bible beaters get their panties in a wad over a fictional novel, but I'm just spiteful.

8. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Well, the bible beaters get irritated when people make theological movements based on pop culture combined with a biblical element. Especially biblical elements that aren't historically accurate.

Having said that, it was a good story, and holds up pretty ok, without all of the hoopla surrounding it.

Tom

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

X2 :D

10. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

alrighty then, i think ill go buy a copy of Angels and Demons and get Da Vinci for Christmas, thanks guys...

11. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Are you talking about the bible or Brown's books? :D

12. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

brown's books. :D

13. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I'm glad atleast one other person was thinking the same thing I was. I'm also assuming that it was a conscious thing on your part to capitalize "Brown" and not "bible"? :wink1:

Great minds think alike.

14. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Well, if I go into any more detail, this thread would be locked in a heartbeat. People tend to get irrational when you talk religion. Religion can never be "proved", but that doesn't stop people from trying.... To each his own though, there is room for all of us......

15. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Thats exactly why my post was as short as it is. ;)

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

It can be a good thing or a bad thing... If you're "Christian" and not confident in your faith, it can create some problems for you simply because it's dealing with some core components of Christianity that would require a lot more research than you may be willing to get into. Good to keep in mind it's fictional, but like anything, if you're not really firm in it, hearing solely rumors and stories about it can skew your perception, and ultimately, either damage your faith or strengthen it, depending on whether you take it as a final source or not.
    If you're looking for information pertaining to a particular issue, reading fictions before doing real research about that issue will not serve you well.
    If you're confident in your faith, whatever it happens to be, you may find it as entertaining as Lord of the Rings, but maybe along the lines of Conspiracy Theory.
    Sounds more like you just want to see what the fuss is about... ;)

17. mikey_d05

Found out today that many of the strictly religious people here at school have been advised by their religious leaders not to read it.

Does anyone else find this kind of silly? If someone has a good sense of faith and realizes that the book is fiction and written for entertainment purposes I don't see the problem... :confused:

Disclaimer: I'm agnostic so go easy on me if I'm overlooking something obvious.

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well I agree, that's kinda what I said (I think). The warning is probably not for people that are already firm in faith. They're probably advising against it because it raises some concepts that can go beyond the imaginative bounds of a fiction, and it's fairly common knowledge that the casual reader is unlikely to pursue those issues through more thorough channels (taking the ideas in the book and stopping there, rather than getting more information from various sources). For the weaker in faith, it ends up damaging some of the concepts they felt their faith was rooted in, and possibly weakening their faith. Faith is faith at the bottom line, so they may remain faithful, but be confused or have questions that they leave unanswered, or just simply be less confident and conflicted.
    It's kinda like watching a Michael Moore movie. If you don't get any more information than what you see in the film, you end up with a pretty bad idea of whatever the film was about.

19. mikey_d05

Thank you. I interact with mostly young people who are somewhat insecure with just about everything in their lives right now and that makes a good deal of sense.

20. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Why would you be glad someone echoed your thoughts? it's not like your view is in the minority here or anything.

Sorry, nothing impressive about a "me too" post.

Tom