Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick Kingpin Help?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtnman210, Apr 8, 2006.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I had some time today so I decided to try my hand at rebuilding the kingpins on the new dana 60. This is my first time dealing with them but I've been following [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BillaVista's manual and it's been fairly easy. I've got one side completely done and used eveything in the box except the tall seal which it says is used in older Fords, BUT I also have 4 nuts left over(they were sealed together). I've looked through the manual and looked on the axle and can't figure out what they're for. Are they for Ford's as well or did I miss something?
    [/FONT]

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What size are the nuts? If they are like 1/2" or so and look like wheel lug nuts then those are for the driver side steering arm. The other side would have bolts holding the king pin cap down.

3. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

the steering arm would make sense. I didn't even think of it because I don't have a steering arm for either side. I'll snap a quick picture in the morning of what it looks like and what the nuts look like.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just go see if the nuts fit the studs on the driver side knuckle. The nut will look like a lug nut with a taper on one side which fits the taper on the steering arm.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  5. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

I just rebuilt the king pins in my 60 last weekend and the only place that these could go (from your description) is the steering arm king pin plate.