Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick less common 14 bolt question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Dec 25, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm forseeing the K5 being 4 link front and rear by this time next year. If i get another 14 bolt and strip it down to just the housing will the carrier and pinion assembly from my present 14 bolt swap over just fine? No need for gear setting and such? Figure working on a bare housing that won't be used for a while will be simpler than working on what I have.

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

You can swap them, but they will need to be reset....

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah you wil need tools that us redneck backyard mechanics dont have, in order to set you pinion depth and gear tooth pattern and so forth, you just dont thorw in carrier and gears and go, you have to set it all up juuuuuuuust right or disaster happens

is cheaper and easier to just take and swap in entire axle with ratio you want,

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah well I'm not sure whats gonna happen with gearing right now but I know a shop that can help me out on that one.

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

All you have to do is get the pinion depth and backlash set up like the old axle. Both are easy to set on a 10 1/2" 14 bolt because of the design of the axle. Just check the backlash and run a pattern on your old axle before you pull the gears out. Then start with the same pinion depth shims and set the backlash the same in the new housing. Run a pattern, and if it is close to what you had in the old housing, you are good to go. Otherwise play with the pinion depth (add/remove shims) to match the old pattern.