Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

QUICK!!! NEED INFO NOW!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by thatK30guy, Jul 23, 2001.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I need part no.s from any parts store that you guys have got for the axle shaft u-joints. There are 2 different sizes due to the first and second design axles.

I need both part no.s from you guys if you know them.

I have '75 shafts and the parts store only has the bigger joints to fit the '77 and newer ones. They do not have anything smaller.

I need the smaller joint no. so the parts store can cross reference them.

The shafts I'm working on are D44's for a 1975 axle.

<font color=blue>Daddy told me while learning to pee......"if you shake it more than twice, then you are playing with it!!!"</font color=blue>

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey Wes, are those internal (by the cross) or external (by then end of the cap) clips (lock rings) on those unjoints? I think I may have found the answer but it depends on which style those are.

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

3. thatK30guy

The snap rings are the internal rings. I found a Spicer part no. 297, but its the bigger joint. I need the other Spicer part no. for the smaller joint.

<font color=blue>Daddy told me while learning to pee......"if you shake it more than twice, then you are playing with it!!!"</font color=blue>

4. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I called Power Drive (316)942-4227 here in Wichita. They work mostly with spicer stuff including the PTO drives. Anywho, the u-joint with the 1 3/16 bearing cap is spicer number 5-297. The u-joint with the 1 1/16 bearing cap is spicer number 5-260x. This sounds like what u needed.

5. Leadfoot

Sorry Wes but I am getting the same thing as you. I get different part numbers for different manufacturers and greasable vs. non-greasable, but they all cross to the spicer 297 joint.

6. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

i got 5-297X for 73-86
    and 5-260X for some 72s
    time to recheck the vintage of the shafts in that housing

7. thatK30guy

THANKS TO EVERYBODY FOR CHECKING AND HELPING OUT!!! [​IMG]

I went back to the parts store and we did some calling and more checking. The Spicer 297 IS the correct joint, we could not find anything smaller. So, I ended up taking the shafts and 297 joints to the local tractor repair business to see what they had to say. They said alot of times when people install new joints, the 'ears' on the shafts get 'bent' inward or together sometimes. This makes the measurement 'appear' to be smaller or wrong. They said the 297's were the right joints and they would get the old ones out and hammer the 'ears' to spread them out a little bit. The difference between the measurements on the 'ears' and the grooves for the snap rings was like .040". Very minimal. So, I gave everything to the shop to do and will check it out later. Hopefully they can get it fixed.

Thanks very much to everyone for wasting their time doing phone calls and checking around!!! I appreciated it!! [​IMG][​IMG]

8. Leadfoot

Not a problem! You have helped a large portion of the CK5 group over the years and we were just trying to return the favor. Hope everything works out for you.

Chris