Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick need INFO

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by alec78, Feb 7, 2003.

1. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

I am going to Salt Lake City to get my diesel K5. I am driving it back and staying a night in WY. It currently does not have a block heater, I'll fix that when I get home. My question is, (keep in mind, I've never owned a diesel before) is there anything I should take with me. I've know I need antigell additive. I've seen a couple of postings about changing fuel filters (not quite sure on that). What else should I take with or get?

Anything will be greatly appreaciated!!

2. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

I would say a set of Delco AC60G glow plugs (no substitutes) and the tools to change 'em out if necessary. Those will save you in cold weather without a block heater. The other option is to pick up one of those magnetic oil pan heaters just in case. Do a search on glow plugs to get more info on changing them. Good luck, and welcome to the Diesel clan /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Another option to consider is buying a coolant warmer. It basically drops into your rad and keeps the coolant warm overnight. Obviously you'll still need an outlet to plug into.

Depending on what temps you'll encounter, it might be worth it to buy a couple of battery warmers. A cold 6.2 will suck your batteries dry in a hurry- trust me!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I would also swap in a new air filter and fuel filter before you leave. Maybe grab an oil change on the way out of town. New fluids and filters will help your truck start up easier.....

4. Crunk_K5_1984

Crunk_K5_1984 Registered Member

It might not be the safest thing to do but, you might want to grab a can of starting fluid and give it a squirt in the air intake if the engine isn't willing to start.
    As Jon said welcome to the diesel family. Cheers!

5. Can Can

DO NOT use starter fluid on a diesel with a properly functioning glow plug system. You risk doing a lot of internal damage if the GPs light the starter fluid.

6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

You can also use a propane torch to act as a intake heater. Pull the lid off the air cleaner and work the flame around the intake to warm it up. Then crank it over while still using the torch, it'll pull the warm air in. Similar to a grid heater on the cummins. My dad used this trick on army trucks while in germany in the early '60s.

This would be if it gets really cold and you don't have a place to plug in. My brother takes a torch along when he goes north, just in case.

7. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Wow, havent heard of that trick. NEver gets cold down here anyway /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. Can Can

Good tip, Dan!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I never knew that such a method existed. I'll keep that in mind next time I go out for a long day of ice fishing and take the pickup instead of the K5.

9. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

We had no problem at all!!! Well not much of one. The tires were crap and couldn't get a bite in snow at all (made for an interisting trip over Rabbit Ears Pass in a snow storm). Only other problem was the parking brake froze when we stopped after the pass. WD-40 to the rescue!!!

I was a little nervus (sp) but all went well. I was even getting 25 mpg!!! Wife and I are very happy to have a Diesel K5! Already got new tires on it.

The previous owner thought it had a TH350 and no block heater. Come to find out it has a 700R4 and it does have a block heater /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif!!!

Very glad to be a part of the diesel world! Thank you all for your help. I hope to be able to return the favor!

10. 4xfreak

4xfreak Registered Member

It's good to hear that you are happy with your diesel K5! Again like many have said, WELCOME! How many miles are on the engine? If they are low around 30K than I would not worry much about anything except for fluid changes and keeping everything tight. Be weary of your water pump. I cannot stress that enough, If there is any doubt as to whether it works or not change it, they typically fail in increments of 40K miles, when you do change it replace the thermostat, hoses and flush the system. Because the engine runs a lot hotter than a gasser you might want to put a heater shutoff valve on your heater hose to stop the hot air coming into the cab when it is already nearing 90-100 temps outside, Other than those things I would also watch the housing on the tranny for any cracks. Have fun with it and keep it on the trails /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Congrats /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Crunk_K5_1984

Crunk_K5_1984 Registered Member

Thanks for clearing the matter up! I've never used starter fluid on my truck, but a mechanic here said you could do it w/o any damage (I don't think I'll pay attention to him anymore). Thanks! Cheers!