Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

**QUICK**NEED MORE HELP~axle shaft wont come out!!! help!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

im trying to change the axle seals on a 65' GMC dana 44 with a limited slip diff.looks to be all stock.

i've got the cover off and i cant figure out how to get the shaft out. there is no retaining screw for the cross pin that i can see. and even if i got that out, there is no big window like on other diffs ive worked on, so i dont know how you would pull a C-clip out.

anyone know how to do this? i dont have a manual for this particular axle. thanks

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Re: axle shaft wont come out!!! help!!

No C-Clips on the Dana 44's. Just pull the 4 bolts that hold the backing plate on /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif There is a smaller plate that holds the bearing in that is the culprit.

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

are you kidding me? thats awesome! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

i wish i would have known that before i pulled the cover.

do you think that is a better design than the C-clip? seems like it would be causs most axle shaft breaks occur at the splines , so your tire wond come flying off.

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

It is the basis for the c-clip eliminator kits street (and some offroad guys) use for the 10/12 bolts. They will keep the axle in the housing if you break it, but the break can cause the shaft to push out and ruin the retainer plate.

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

hmmm, interesting /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

ya front ends are freefloat like a 14B!! the plus side to that is if u snap an axle up front it isnt that bigga deal to be able to get home /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

That's why people generally upgrade the rear axle first. I mean, yeah it sucks to break a front axle (I've done it), but it sucks a lot less than breaking a rear.

8. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

The reason you didn't find a retainer bolt is because the D44 uses a roll pin on one end to hold the cross shaft in. Just so you know incase you need to take it out later.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    The reason you didn't find a retainer bolt is because the D44 uses a roll pin on one end to hold the cross shaft in. Just so you know incase you need to take it out later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, '60 does too and it can be a pain in your ass.

10. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

Re: axle shaft wont come out!!! help!!NEED MORE HELP

[ QUOTE ]
    No C-Clips on the Dana 44's. Just pull the 4 bolts that hold the backing plate on There is a smaller plate that holds the bearing in that is the culprit.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, i took the 4 bolts out, backing plate and smaller plate are both loose. the axle is still stuck in there. i tried giving it a light yank with a slide hammer but it didnt budge. do i need to yank it hard? whats going on?

[ QUOTE ]
    ya front ends are freefloat like a 14B!! the plus side to that is if u snap an axle up front it isnt that bigga deal to be able to get home

[/ QUOTE ]
    this is a 2wd rear axle

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, i looked real hard for anything holding it in but i didnt see anything, maybe i need to look harder

11. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Everyone thought you were working on a dana 44 front. For the rear you do need to pull the c-clips you need to knock out that roll pin like I mentioned earlier to get the cross shaft out to get the c-clips out and then pull the axles.

12. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

ahhhh, ok...bummer.

13. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

well i still cant figure this out. i dont see any roll pin on the cross bolt. i've rotated it several times and looked all over it with a flashlight.

even if i get this pin slid out there is no window in the diff to take out a C clip. has anyone personally done this to a rear dana 44? im lost /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

anyone? im working on the truck right now so im hoping to get this figured out. this is not an open diff, and not like any limited slip diff i've ever seen. there is no large window to pull a c-clip out. im not sure what Dana uses for a factory limited slip but i think thats what this is.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You probably can't see the pin because it's a roll pin with a hollow center.

Drive it out and remove the cross shaft. Once you push the axleshafts in to where the cross shaft was the c clips will probably fall out on their own.

16. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You probably can't see the pin because it's a roll pin with a hollow center.

Drive it out and remove the cross shaft. Once you push the axleshafts in to where the cross shaft was the c clips will probably fall out on their own.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, well if i cant see it how do i drive it out? i know what a roll pin is and thats what i've been looking for. all i see is a solid cross shaft. where is it exactly?BTW thanks for the help.

17. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

nevermind, i just figured it out. kennyw was right. no c clips. i just used the slide hammer with a little more force(after the four bolts of the retaining plate were removed) and the whole thing slid out. thanks again /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] If there were C-clips, this sounds like it would be hard to get them back on!