Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick opinion on excessive speeding fine

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Apr 5, 2007.

?

Is $475 an excessive penalty for 30 over the limit while rushing to an emergency?

1. yes

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. no

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  3. I'm nekkid

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I got a speeding ticket in february, plead Not Guilty, got nervous in court and failed to mention I was speeding on my way to a building that may be on fire, and got found guilty and fined $175.

I just got home from vacation and found a notice from the DMV that I owe $300 in a "Driver Responsibility Asessment" for accumulating 6 points in 18 months (this one ticket was 6 points), in addition to any fines for the guilty finding. My license and "privilege" to drive in NY will be suspended if I don't pay minimum $100 by 4/27.

So I'm wondering...

Do you guys find $475 in penalties for speeding excessive?

If not, in what ways can I screw the state as much as possible? If I still worked in Manhattan, I'd be packing my bags and heading to the other side, the non-NY suburbs... But I'm stuck here for a while and not sure if I really want to say "F it" to my license.
    I would like to find ways to screw with the state. As a citizen, I have a right to call my congressmen, governor, etc. So I'm looking for ways I can maybe call the governor everyday and demand he refund my fine, or things like that, that will be like a stick up thier butts.
    I know I'm only one man, so if I can find an organization that will throw parties like this, that wo0uld be cool too.
    I'm not advocating anarchy, but this fine is ridiculous in my opinion.

2. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

wow, that's steep. remind me to not speed when I cross the state line.

3. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

Dude, just man up and pay it.

30 over the speed limit is lots. They WILL take your license away for that here, no if's, and's, or but's.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I did "man up and pay it"...then they decided to fine me for it again. I wasn't even going to fight it, but a State Trooper friend that knew the guy that gave me the ticket told me to.

But a $500 penalty for a single infraction on essentially a clean license, with a somewhat legitimate explanation (I just ****ed up the explanation), isn't something I want to bend over and "man-up" for.

If I had a couple violations or something that accumulated to this, it would be different. Or if I was being callous and reckless, I'd feel differently about it, or if I was aware there was an anal rape on top of the fine...

5. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Short answer, no. If you got busted doing 30 over around these parts, your ass would be in cuffs. Period.

Now, you didn't mention the circumstances, like whether you're a firefighter and what road you were on, what traffic was like, and the severity of the emergency. Did you have a red strobe? Were you within your district?

I can understand trying to get to the scene quickly, but not at the risk of endangering other lives. A buddy of mine was a volunteer firefighter and got in trouble more than once for driving too fast on calls, so I don't think it's unreasonable.

I say pay it and consider it a lessoned learned.

Edit: Just re-read it, and the fact that they tacked on fines after your court date is bull****. Stick it to the man.

6. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

15 over the posted here is considered reckless driving. and you bet its gonna be more than 500 bones. probably a trip "downtown" I got a ticket once in my old Peterbuilt for doing 75 in a 55 in So Cal those boys cost me 425, and and a reckless charge, and wanted to impound my truck, just because I drove there the way I drive back home.

It was easier to just pay the fine go to "driving school" to keep it off my record, Fockers get you comin and going.

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Speeding fines are a joke. Thirty and above is minimum $314.90 here in OK if it's district court. Just doing ten over is $161.90. People shouldn't speed, but the whole thing is a farce.

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

that a little steep

I got pulled over in Nebraska(another state i will never visit again unless forced) for speeding in a "construction zone" which was just one little orange flashing light marker. I was pissed but couldn't fight it cause i was TDY.
    cost me 420$.

but 30 over is a lot, most places that is reckless and go to jail stuff.

whats the story behind the fire? was it work or personal? can you go back to court?

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

What's really boiling my blood is getting a note in the mail that says "Surprise, you're required by law to pay us again for that speeding ticket you paid and considered case-closed when they actually makred it 'case-closed'."

As far as road conditions, I was going slower than what light traffic there was, at the back of a herd (essentially, that's why I was caught). I was in a cluster of about 5-7 cars. Straight highway, clear day.
    I could not call the FD about the situation because I had no way of knowing if it was a dangerous situation yet, and firemen breaking down doors blasting water or any other material into electrical equipment would be really bad, not to mention they'd have to cut a whole lot of security perimeter, then try to cut a way into the sealed/secured building. It was also a situation where (I thought) I was required by FCC regulation to take responsive action within 30 minutes of being aware of the condition I was running to (I found out later I actually have 3 hours, but my boss originally told me it was 30 minutes). I live exactly 30 minutes from the equipment, and was going from my house to it.
    I doubt any lives were endangered by me speeding. More mundane legal activities kill people. To be honest, I doubt I was even going 85 in a 55. I do speed often casually, but I don't cross 85, unless I *know* I need to. I didn't argue with the tropper when I got the ticket because I figured it would all sort out in court. I even took an extra minute to chat with the trooper, which was stupid...

The trooper told me he doesn't ticket under 80, so I guess I must have been doing at least that.

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

It was high-power transmitter equipment for work. We operate them by remote control, and only one transmitter can be operating at a time, unless a cooling unit (dummy load) is turned on to absorb the second transmitters energy.
    The problem I had was that the remote equipment failed, and I didn't know what state the second transmitter was in.
    The remote failed once before, and it threw a bunch of switches and drove the second transmitter into the dummy load with no cooling. It caused a big pile of money in damages, but that wasn't the real concern. The real problem is that with no cooling, the heat will melt equipment and start fires. The last time this happened, I was on the bike, and got stuck in traffic. I could have easily gone around traffic or split lanes, but didn't because it's against the law here. Once I got to the site and saw aluminum heat shields glowing bright red and stuff sparking all over the place, I decided the next time it would be priority number 1 to get on site ASAP.

The FCC also requries that an operator be able to get to a site within 3 hours of losing remote control equipment. My boss had always told me it was 30 minutes, until I asked him to find the rule for me to bring to court, then he found it was actually 3 hours. :doah:

In light of this extra fine, I'm going to try to go back to court. I didn't write any notes or anything, I just got in front of the judge and said "Your honor, I'm responsible for high power transmitters that produce 25,000 watts of energy. The FCC requires that I be able to shut these units off quickly after losing remote control, which is what I was on my way to do."
    In retrospect, I see this meant jack to the judge, but I was nervous in court and pretty much blanked on the fact that this stuff would need explaining...
    I hadn't planned to fight it anyway, I just figured I'd pay the fine and move on, but another Trooper told me to take it to court.

11. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya i think the best thing to do if you can is take it back to court

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

get your boss to ante up for at least some of the fine IMO.

Around here it works the same way, big fine for that much over the limit plus points on the license. So the court gets you once, then the DMV (or our equivalent) gets you later for the points. Here an "excessive speeding" (I know it's a redundant term) nets you a $450+ fine through the courts all by itself. The fine for the demerit points is probably as much...

"Excessive speeding" here is defined as 40 km/h over the posted limit, which can be very easy to do in some of the lower speed limit areas. The closest I got was 97 km/h in a 60 km/h zone.(60 mph in a 37 zone) :doah:

Did you make the trooper aware of the situation when you were pulled over? It seems to me that if you had been going slower and wouldn't have got pulled over you would have been at the scene of the fire/problem earlier...:crazy:

Rene

13. dogdaysunrise

Ratch I didn't mean any disrespect with my comment, and like Zen when I re-read it, it clicked that you double payed.

Here in Winnipeg if you double the speed limit they can actually charge you with attempted vehicular manslaughter (its never happend though)

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, quote true I'm sure. I did make him aware of it, but he didn't seem to care. He didn't bring it up in his court notes either. But all his court notes that day were very cut and dry, no detail other than "defendant was exceeding the posted limit".

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Sorry, I didn't mean to snipe about it, I wasn't taking anything form you as disrespect. I'm burned up about this thing sailing in out of left field, and it was making me about as angry as I can remember being over something my hands feel so tied about, so my mood tonight has been very aggressive. I didn't win the "most pleasant shopper" award at the grocery store tonight either... :doah: :haha:

16. dogdaysunrise

Take the bike for a burn and blow of some steam. Or is the weather not allowing that?

17. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Back on my birthday (Veteran's Day), I was headed back from Colby's, coming up I-5. I got tagged doing 98 mph in a 60, and got a 2nd degree negligent driving ticket for $538.

18. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

unless you can get back in court and properly explain the situation, there isn't much you can do but "suck it up" and chalk it up as a learning experience.

:(

j

19. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

This very reason is why I purchased a Valentine One radar detector. Yes, it cost me $400, but I haven't been pulled over since I purchased it a couple of years ago, and I can say fairly confidently that if I had the unit in the past I would not have had any of the speeding tickets that I have recieved, which have usually occured on long flat stretches of unoccupied road. Once you get used to reading the display, you can pick out most radar and lazer, particuarly the rural departments that do not use instant on radar. I can pick up traps more than a mile before I get to them, and the unit works behind hills, etc., usually, especially if there are other vehicles being nailed in front of me.

The majority of traffic stops I've been in have resulted in tickets, regardless of speed, including 5 MPH over.

Most of the people I know who spend the money to hire an attorney get their charges dropped.

15 over is usually where I set my cruise in a car, and if I'm on two wheels it takes every ounce of willpower to keep the speedo out of triple digits.

IDK, my experience with law enforcement is that they generally try to get you for everything they can, or let you off with a warning.

20. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I might just pay it. It's apparently law and therefore impossible to fight, and I screwed myself by accepting the judge's guilty finding and paying the fine. I should have waited to pay it so I could appeal. They don't tell you there's going to be a surprise extra penalty, they just tell you the fine and surcharge is X, and you pay it and think you're done. The additional surcharge info is buried on the DMV website, NOT directly linked, you have to search for it. Basically, the only way you find out about it is after you get smacked with it.

Screw me for doing what I considered the better thing, paying immediately. IMO, it's unconstitutional and about the equivelant of double jeopardy, they're penalizing me twice for the same infraction.
    I did a little more research on it, this is apparently a money grab by the state after other issues occurred that reduced the number of tickets written overall. Ticket frequency goes down - ticket fine income goes down - raise ticket penalties. The old "sell less at a higher price to make profit" over "sell more at a lower price to make profit" school... There's also another theory that the state Troopers are writing less big tickets in protest of their overtime being cut, which has slammed the state's ticket income.

It sucks cause I have to sell something I was going to give away now to make the fine. If I knew about it before vacation, I would have locked away $300 for it.

But I want to mess with the state over it.

And this clinched what we were seriously considering after vacation; we're getting the fork out of New York, if not soon this year, then soon enough after I get a few more engineering certifications. Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, or North Carolina are looking good right now.