Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

quick question about 700R4's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rick88blaze, Aug 8, 2005.

1. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I swapped my tranny out a week and a half ago. I got a deal on a low mileage K case 700. When I pulled mine out it had "20" stamped on the side, and the one we put in had "16" stamped on it. Does anyone know what that means? I'm just wondering.

Thanks,
    Rick

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I would suspect they are batch numbers, or mold numbers, or something similar.

All the GM trannies I can think of have some sort of cast in letters/numbers that don't match the "build plate" put on them, so it's gotta be some sort of casting ID thing.

GM loved casting all sorts of numbers into stuff. Agreed, would be interesting to know what they all indicate, but I don't know anywhere that explains them all.

3. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. if I can ever find out for sure what they mean, I'll post it up on here.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

this is probably oen of those things we will never know, but a mold number sounds pretty good,

id have to say only assembly line workers/engineers of GM would know this info

good luck

5. stump_puller

stump_puller 1/2 ton status

Where is it stamped at. Because the identification tag is on the lower right side just above the pan. It is near the rear. Give me those #'s and I'll decode it for you.