Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick question about front/rear end upgrade

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by travis, Jun 25, 2001.

1. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

Nov 17, 2000
    I'm currently running the common Dana 44 & 12 bolt setup. What is required to swap in 1 ton running gear from an 86 Burb'? I'm not sure if the rear is a Dana 60 or 14 FF. How do I tell the difference? I know I would have to move the shock mounts, but what else?

2. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Jan 31, 2001
    Pretty sure its a 14 bolt FF in a Sub, but check the differences out in the "Technical" section of theis site, under Trail Map, and look at "Axle Identification". You will probably not find a Dana 60 in a Sub, best bet is a 1 ton front end.You will need to check spacing of spring perches.

Good luck

In the same Tech section is an article about a 14 bolt swap into a later Blazer...
  3. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

Feb 25, 2001

Find a K30 Sub? Or is it a K20 3/4 with a 8 lug D44 front and Corporate 14 bolt in the rear? That's what I got under my big blazer, but the axles came out of a 78.

The D44 you have in front now(6lug) is the same axle as the 8 lug D44 from the ball joints IN. You can swap everything from the ball joints out (axle shafts, hubs rotors etc) and up grade your 6 bolt D44. The rear axle needs a bit of work, you have to relocate the shock mounts fer sure. I'm not sure if you have to cut and relocate the spring pads. I'll go check my 14 bolt and look for scars. You'll prob have to change to bigger ujoints also. 1320s or 1350s or something like that.
    What price are you getting the axles for?

Got the big blazer out of hibernation yesterday. The mudders are round with a big flat spot on the bottoms :-) makes for a rough ride!