Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick Question, drivers side battery tray

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hardcore, May 28, 2004.

1. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Will the driver side battery tray out of a 91 IFS Z71 bolt up in my 1990 K5?

Thanks, Corey /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I seriously doubt it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif The underhood layout is very different between the two. GM even changed that tray slightly when the hood line changed in 1980.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

A drivers side battery tray from a diesel K-5 or pickup should bolt right in,might have to drill a few holes to get it in there though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    A drivers side battery tray from a diesel K-5 or pickup should bolt right in,might have to drill a few holes to get it in there though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as it's from a 2nd gen body style, 80-91 (Or is it '82-91? Senility must be setting in.. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif ). /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Only two holes need to be drilled, and the inner fender is dimpled in the exact spots to drill the holes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'm putting one in my '90 Sub this week. Now I just have to figure out where to put the charcoal cannister since the new battery tray occupies the space that it was in.

5. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

It's one of the new body style trucks. a 1991 IFS Z71

Is it just a matter of drilling more holes to get it to bolt up??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Hmmm,new style truck--I was thinking it was the 82-91 style. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif But arent the newer style trucks that have diesels like a 6.5 1991 and up have dual batteries too??.I think that would work,but since I own only antiques,I'm not that familiar with the "new"trucks(anything over 82 is "new"to me!) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif