Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick Question for everyone running 16.5" Bead locks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zcarczar, Jun 12, 2003.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Quick Question for everyone running 16.5\" Bead locks

I was just wondering if any of you guys were having problems blowing the inner beads off the wheels, or do you have a dual bead lock wheel that isnt a hummer wheel, and if you do what brand is it?

Thanks

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: Quick Question for everyone running 16.5\" Bead locks

www.tireloc.com (locks the inner and outer)

See pics in my .sig

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting

I have TR and yes I have pulled the inner bead off but it was at 5 psi in the cold with my trucks a$$ end up at about 40 deg. while turning /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. Never happened at 8 or above but I'm going to weld a safety bead on the inside soon.
    Inside and out would be nice but...... it would take a darn long time to mount or dismount a tire with all those bolts! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

No problems so far, steel and alum TR's down to 4 psi. I've considered welding in a bead or glueing them on but till I have a problem, I'm not going to fix it.

5. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Going to bring this one back to the top. I'm debating on going with 15 inch beadlocks but I really would love to save a buck or two by using my 16.5s with the rockstompers.

If anyone has welded a safty bead around the wheel, please chime in. How wide and how tall. I was thinking two beads wide and maybe a bead in between the two.

Does the bead sealer work good enough not to have to worry with the welding.

Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to go though the trouble of welding on the rockstompers and then get pissed and end up buying a set of 15s.

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Just started making my own beadlocks. They are the same idea as the rockstompers only IMHO better looking. Haven't gotten to try them yet but getting the weld to seal isn't hard to do. What I did was tacked about 16 or so places around the ring. Make small welds, about 2" or so long, alternating from side to side and skipping around. When you have gotten to where you will be starting a weld, on a weld and ending on a weld, grind the ends of the welds down to be sure that you get good penetration. If it leaks anywhere it will be where your welds meet. I have asked about the inner bead too and it's pretty rare that the inner comes off but definitely not impossible. PM me if you have any more questions.