Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick question for our resident Marines

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jan 28, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Would it be inappropriate for me, as 100% civilian, never served, to have a photo like this as my desktop background?

[​IMG]

I'm not really sure, but I always figured it wouldn't be right for me to say "Semper Fi" to a marine. Even though I know what it means and when it's appropriate, not being a marine, I feel like it's a reserved expression, like a secret handshake or like using a slogan from a company I don't work for...

I ask because a lot of people see my desktop background photo when I'm on the train. I don't want to give the false impression that I'm a marine, I just want to be supportive, and I think picture really expresses the silent, tireless protection provided by the USMC and American Armed forces.

So, Marines, would I be a poser to set that as my background? I can set something else, it's no big deal, I just really like that picture.

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

As long as you don't try to claim the title, go for it. As for the saying "Semper Fi", to me anyway, is a greeting reserved for one Marine to another. Us Jarheads are a touchy bunch, so what I may view as no biggy, may set someone else off. I know a few older Jarheads are very adamant about the use of terms and the display of our emblems, so don't be surprised if some old guy freaks out if he see's your wallpaper and he finds out you weren't in the Corps. Thank you for your support:waytogo:

John

3. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I think you are overthinking the whole thing. And why would you want to say anything to a marine in the first place? :whistle::grin: j/k I used to have a couple former marine friends :Waytogo:

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, I know one or two also, that's why I figured safer to ask than be a poser... I'm going to use it for a couple days I guess. I guess it's an "artistic" expression with the usmc emblem in the background, not like a full emblem on display. Watered down, un-genuine, if you will...

5. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

No you wouldnt be a "poser" you would be someone who supports us, do what you want.

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

personally I would tell anyone who has a prob with it to **** off. Seeing as america is about freedom and we have fought to keep it that way. if they have problems with that what were they fighting for? :thinking:

7. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I wouldn't have a problem with it...BTW thanks for the new wall paper :D

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Anyone has a problem with it, just tell 'em you're friends with a Gunny, a Staff Sergeant, and a couple Sergeants, and they appreciate your support of the Corps.

BTW, I like the image. Do you have it in a bigger size?

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

this former infantryman says "you're good to go". :) I wouldn't worry about it. In the times we live in, I think Marines see two types of civies, those who are with us and those who are against us. You're clearly in the former group and therefore a-ok. :D

j

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Cool, glad to hear the good replies. I know the rites of Marines are holy things, that's why I ask, mostly a matter of respect, secondly I don't want to look like I'm trying to fake having served.

I don't have a bigger of that one, I grabbed it from here: http://civilwarclipart.com/Clipartgallery/iraqwar1.htm

They have a couple cool patriotic images there.

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

If I was sittin next to you, I'd ask when you were in the Corps but I wouldn't get all butt-hurt if you just wanted to show your support:D