Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick Question on dropping xfer case

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88Silverado, Nov 30, 2003.

1. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Trying to get truck running so I can go to work tomorrow.
    I have a standard driveshaft and with the rear flip, it pointed the pinion almost in line with the driveshaft.
    The u-joint at the case is at a good angle now so assume I need to drop the case.

Is lowering the case as easy as it looks?
    Just relocate the 4 bushings to the other side of bracket?
    What problems will I run into with linkage etc?
    Looks like the front driveshaft is going to hit the exhaust crossover pipe. Guess that needs relocation.

I will do a quick search but have to get truck running and dont have much time to look thru all archives!! Thanks

2. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I recall it being that easy. Support the case with a floor jack. I didn't have single exhaust that was in the way. I did need a driveshaft spacer for the front to complete the lift. Linkage was ok, but even if you do need to adjust it, it's not too hard to do.

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Yes it is as simple as moving the spacers between the case x-member and the frame. After you lower it you should lossen the engine and tranny mounts a little turn the motor on for a few seconds and retighten. This supposedly takes out any bind in the mounts, and relieve the angular stress. I don't know if it works but I did it and never ran into a problem but I do run rubber bushings at the engine and tranny (poly on the body and suspension however).
    Hope this helps have fun.

4. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Thanks all for the info. I cant believe how easy that was to do compared to everything else. Now my pinion angles still are not the same. There is more angle at the trans end than at the pinion. Its not as bad as it was. So I guess I just drive it and see if theres a vibe and if there is then what...shim the axle?

Polaris mentioned a driveshaft spacer for the front /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif What is that for?
    My driveshaft now rests on the exhaust crossover so I either need to reroute the exhaust or do I add something to push the driveshaft forward??

Lift installation is turning out to be one complication after another.

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

if the rear axle lines up with the driveshaft you may want to get a cv. I don't currently have one and there is a little vibe in the driveline. I do burn up replace the t-case u-joint every oil change. It is workable. I am gona get HAD to make a 1410 cv for me this spring. It may seem real snowballish on complications but it will be worth it. Your exhaust tube just needs a bent piece to be spliced in. Any muffler shop should do it until then try not to use 4wd.

6. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

I made a spacer from some 1" steel plate that runs the length of the crossmember, about 5" long. Those spacers made me nervous to just have holding up the tranny/t-case. Install was the same....very simple.
    I too had to get my exhaust crossover re-routed. I just drove without the front shaft to the muffler shop.
    Your right though, its one thing after another.