Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick question on front locking hubs*** UPDATE***

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TxK5Blazer, Apr 3, 2004.

1. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I was having problems with my pass. side lock out hub (warn premium). So I took it apart and cleaned all the gunked up grease that was in there and then let it dry out. My question is there was a snap ring (at least that is what I call it) that was on the stub shaft itself I took it off but when it went back together it wouldn't go back on so I left it out. The way I look at the internals I don't think I really need it there. Does it need to be there or not?....Thanks Jason

***UPDATE****
    how much grease needs to be in there with the hub I have heard you don't want to pack it full or do you .....Jason

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: Quick question on front locking hubs

I haven't run them on mine for over a year now. All's good. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

you have to push the axle stub from the knuckle side to get the snap ring back on the axle stub. It does help hold the hub in place beside the outer ring as well.
    Bill

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

When I was helping Widowmaker convert his front axle from drive slugs to hubs he didn't have provisions (the groove) for the snap ring so we left it out. No problems so far, we kept the snap rings anyways so when he does break a stub shaft we'll be able to put the ring on the new one /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. TxK5Blazer

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

you dont want it jammed full of grease to the point the grease makes it hard to turn, grease is a lubricant, so coat everything with grease, make sure the bearings are greased well if you took them out but dont glob it in there..

7. TxK5Blazer

Thanks thats what I needed to know I need to just coat everything in grease seems like it was packed like you pack wheel bearings and I didn't think it should be like that ....Jason