Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick question on intake gasket.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FMJ, Jan 4, 2005.

1. FMJ

FMJ Registered Member

Should I put silicon around every intake hole on both sides of the gasket, and should I do the water passage too? The gasket i'm using is metal, and it is going on my 440. Thanks for any help.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Valley pan style??

If its the kind that looks like a turkey basting pan made of metal,I would use a little bead of silicone around all the ports--just dont use too much,any excess will likely get itno the motor and cause problems..I ofen use some RTV on small block chevy intake gaskets,even though Fel-Pro says not too--sometimes the heads have been planed,or the block decked,and ports dont always sit perfectly flush,and the gasket isnt thick enough to take up the gap,and you end up with an internal vacuum leak that can suck oil out of the lifter gallery...:crazy:

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

personally i would have went with fel pro, blue ones, common, they self seal, are cheap too, all would have had to do was RTV front and rear ends of intake and corners and have been done

i really dont know why anyone would use anything else

have installed so damn many fel pro intake and head gaskets i will never be able to count, fixed a freakign ton of old chevies up in no time and for good

impossible to count so many

good luck