Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

quick question: steering arm

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MUD JUNKIE, Sep 21, 2004.

1. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

The half horseshoe looking thing,how do you get the stock one off? I got the nutts off,and that think wont budge! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I think Im missing something,as too why it wont come off.I'd like to replace the stock one with my new superlift one today before school,anyone got any quick tips?

2. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

BFH, hit it real hard. I usually vary the location that I hit it at. Hit between where it curves and the end where the draglink was. After you hit down a few minutes, try hitting up on it. Turning the steering to one side may give you better access to it. Make sure that the axle is on something solid (like a jackstand at the end of the axle tube and not just hanging in the air) so the force of your hammer will work to remove the arm rather than just move the axle. I have never had to use the infamous "PB Blaster", in fact, I don't even own any of it.

3. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Oh, ya... under the 3 nuts that you took off are cone washers that go into the arm. After the arm is broke loose, try to get these washers out, possibly with a pliers or Vice Grips.

4. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

thanks man,I've beat this thing for 20 mins. and still nothing.I dont want to shear off the studs if I hit it with the 10lbs. BFH
    this thing has been on here since 1975! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

If you sheer the studs with a 10lb hammer you needed to replace them anyways. Use the hit up a few times then hit down a few times method. If you can see the split in the cone washers, drive a screw driver in it to split the washer and force it up and out of the arm just a little. PB blaster helps and so does heat but the hammer will do the dirty work. Keep whackin it, you'll get it off.... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

see if you can turn (unscrew) the cones with a screwdriver of a wrench. when you spin them the will pull away from the steering arm. Remove them then hit it with a BFH again.