Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

QUICk question. WHo has TPI with a stock gas tank?!?!?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5MONSTERCHEV, Nov 13, 2004.

1. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Who has TPI on ther blazer and a stock tank? Preferrably a first gen. Do you have fuel pick up issues? When does it start cutting out? About when do you have to fill up? OR how did you fix it? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am running TPI with a stock gas tank in a 2nd gen. I have not had issues running down to 1/8 tank onroad. I would not drop below 1/4 if I was offroading.

Harley

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ah hah, so your having it too?

A little under 1/2 a tank it will briefly surge for gas when i take a corner really hard and get on the gas hard..
    About 1/4 of a tank it gets pretty bad and i need to fill up again, but if i'm light on the gas i can run it almost to empty.... Even though its my daily driver its not a huge deal, i just keep it above about 1/4 of a tank and i'm good.
    I have a 37 gal. NWMP gas tank that i smashed up in the rocks pre- skidplate.. so it holds more like 32 gallons.. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    When i look at mine, my fuel pump is mounted inside the framerail and the gas tank hangs lower than the frame rail... so at around 1/2 a tank the fuel level gets lower than the fuel pump. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Might be like a gravity feed issue?
    I was talking to BobK about this and he doesn't have fuel pickup issues, he has a first gen gas tank and converted his to tpi.. he mounted his fuel pump in the frame rail closer to the t-case where the frame is a bit lower..
    I've also heard the placement of your return line will affect it a little.. If the return line is plumbed directly above the pickup, its obviously going to be getting fuel quicker than if the fuel return line was plumbed in on the other side of the gas tank. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

How was the goodguys show? I'm gonna try to head up there tommorow morning. You going tommorow also?. I decided to work on my truck all day.. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

Cool. It didnt do it under around half a tank, but closer to 1/4, maybe a little less. A while ago I was driving and all of a sudden the RPM wend down then back up, I was thinking, OH GREAT NOW WHAT!?!?!? Then realized its prolly fuel.

BobK has his fuel pump by the t case?!? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Isnt that too far away from the tank? Mines as close as I could get it. As far as the return line, mines in the other corner of the tank, so guess that doesnt help.

I noticed I was getting around the 1/4 mark on the way home today and didnt want to get stuck driving to the show tomorrow surging and death wobblin along, LOL.

I guess Ill fill up and when im just aorund town, see how low I can get. if i have to fill up at 1/4 every time, I think its time for the tank you have.

I ll be there tomorrow. It was awesome today. No rain, nice day, lots of people and cars. I put up some new pics of it on my webshots. Shows, then pages 3 and 4.

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

[ QUOTE ]
    I am running TPI with a stock gas tank in a 2nd gen. I have not had issues running down to 1/8 tank onroad. I would not drop below 1/4 if I was offroading.

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]

How many gal is it?

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Harley has the OE larger one. I think it is like 31 gal?

7. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    My fuel pump is mounted on the pass. side frame rail.
    In the pic you can see on the right side that the frame reail is JUST starting to angle up as it starts to go over the axle area.
    I mounted it as close as I could to the tank but keeping it level and below the tank as best I could.

I've run my tank past empty without fuel starvation multiple times.Around corners,hard accelleration,up hills(I didn't realize untill after I was up but I did Truck Hill in Hollister with about 1/4 tank left in the tank).
    [​IMG]

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

[ QUOTE ]
    My fuel pump is mounted on the pass. side frame rail.
    In the pic you can see on the right side that the frame reail is JUST starting to angle up as it starts to go over the axle area.
    I mounted it as close as I could to the tank but keeping it level and below the tank as best I could.

I've run my tank past empty without fuel starvation multiple times.Around corners,hard accelleration,up hills(I didn't realize untill after I was up but I did Truck Hill in Hollister with about 1/4 tank left in the tank).
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Crap, so I mounted mine in the wrong spot? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Ill see how it goes this tank!