Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick question..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIG*RED, Jul 2, 2005.

1. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

helped the ex change the oil in her mustang last night..and usually when i change the oil, i sniff the old oil, to see if it smells burt or anything like that..yes i know..i'm weird
    well when i sniffed the drain plug,it smelt very strongly of gasoline..i thought this to be odd, never smelt oil that smelt of gas before..so i stick my fingers in the stream of oil comming out of her oil pan, and yep it smelt of gasoline..my ex, seeing me smelling her oil, stuck her finger in to, and said "ew, it smells like gas" so i know i wasn't dreaming, or smelling things that werent there.
    but like i said, i have never had oil smell of gas..and she asked me why it smelt like gas. and for the first time in a while i was stumped. i have no clue as to what would make it smell like that. she always dilengtly changes her oil every 3000 miles, and always uses moblie one synthetic..

so any one know what would cause this?

2. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

As far as I know, your car must of been flooded and the gas washed down. Too much gas going in gotta go somewhere. Just my 2 cents

3. google

google 1/2 ton status

Only thing I can think of, and i'm not a mechanic by any means, but is it maby the piston rings have the holes lined up and fuel is leaking into the oil on compression? Don't make too much fun of me, just a thought.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

OLD mustang?--or new mustang GT?

An older mustang with a carb and mechanical fuel pump could get gas in the oil from a stuck choke,flooding carb due to a leaky float or dirt in the needle valve...also the fuel pump can fill the crankcase with fuel if its diaphram rips..

A newer one with EFI and electric fuel pump is less likely to do it,though a bad fuel pressure regulator could allow excessive fuel to be dumped from the injectors..but it unlikey you would not notice other symptoms first,because that would likely turn the "check engine" light on,and white smoke would come from the tailpipe,with a strong gas odor..

Whatever is doing it should be diagnosed and fixed!--gas and oil dont belong together in the crankcase--it will reduce the viscosity and lube quality of the oil,and the motor will suffer--bearings fail rapidly in this kind of environment,and if there was any sludge in the motor,it will loosen it up and send it everywhere,and wreak havok...find the cause, fix it,and if the oil is diluted again,change it ASAP...I lost a good small block by waiting until the weekend to change the fuel pump and oil in a K5 I had years ago..started rapping on the way to my parents house where I planned to change it.. :frown1: ...shoulda done it right away.. :blush:

5. nmaggie99

nmaggie99 Registered Member

Can't remember how Ford sets up the fuel pump, but that would be the first place to check...... Chevys have a diaphram that breaks and the fuel enters there. Happened to me twice on separate rigs. Easy and cheap it is.

Only if the 'Stang has mechanical pump, if not Good Luck.

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

When the MAF sensor went bad in my '86 Trans Am with a TPI 305, the computer went into "limp-home" mode, which dumps a lot of fuel into the engine to keep cylinder temps down. It took me 20 minutes to get home, and another 10 minutes to get to the mechanic's the next day. After the mech fixed it he told me to change the oil, because all that extra fuel would get past the rings. When I drained it later that day, it ran out like water, it smelled like a pan of gas instead of motor oil, and there was nearly 7 quarts instead of the usual 5...

7. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

thanks for the tips.
    it is a 1999 mustang gt 4.6l v8 single ohc. with 80,000 miles and 5 speed..
    there wasn't any "extra" oil..but it did reek of gas...in fact there wasn't much oil..that thing goes through oil like nothing i have seen before..yet the engine and under carraige is spotless..there are no leaks..and not always, but every once in a while on start up there is a little bit of white exhaust. but then goes away after running for a min or so. another thing that it does, is everyonce in a while at a stop light or just sitting in her drive way, the idle will all of a sudden drop way down for a few seconds, then come back up.
    i have to admidt i don't know much about all the workings of an newer efi motor, or fords for that matter, now if it was a carbed chevy or mopar. i can pretty much do anything on those

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Have you checked out the oil since then? Sniff the dipstick recently?

I'd say check out the warranty status on the car, and if it's still under warranty, send it in...although unlikely at 80k. No sense screwing around with it yourself when the manufacturer can.

I'm thinking rings if it also uses a lot of oil, but there should be some more symptoms than this. If she maintained it so meticulously, though, that seems unlikley, too. If you're following the car and she gets on the throttle hard, do you see white or blue exhaust?

It's probably a fuel delivery problem, too much fuel being pushed in. I'd start checking around there.