Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

quick question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pulser9, Apr 14, 2006.

1. pulser9

pulser9 Registered Member

Ok so im looking at this 85 chevy 3/4 ton c20 im realy interested in it because it is in very good shape with very little rust and its has a 350 that runs good. The only problem is that it has a reading utility body. What i need to know is, is it harder to get that bed off then a regular bed beacuase i want to put a reagular bed on it. Also how much do you think it will cost me to get a 8 ft bed that has minamal rust from a junk yard or somthing like that?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Heavy!..

Its not much harder than pulling any other bed,but I'll warn you those utility bodies are HEAVY compared to stock GM beds!..(unless its a fiberglass one like the telephone Co.trucks used)..they are no easier to pull either though!..

Its hard to say what a boneyard could ask for a rust free bed nowadays..anything over 10 years old is crushed instantly here now,to find one in decent shape would be rare..I'd guess 500 bucks???..( I can't even sell my complete 79 C10 for that,and its pretty decent for its age!:doah: )..

You might get lucky and find a tradesman who needs a utility body,but has a fleetside,and you could swap!..the utility bodies usually sold quickly at the boneyard I worked at..they are costly new,but 300-500 bucks seems to be the going rate for a decent used one here...:crazy:

3. pulser9

I think im gana start callin around to try to find a bed to put on it before i go threw with purchasing the truck.

4. pulser9

would the only bed that would fit on it be a 8 ft bed from a c20

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

C10, C20, K10, K20 will all interchange. I don't know if the C30 and K30 beds will also. The C and K numbers from GMC will swap also. The '73 to somewhere around '78 beds have the external gas cap, then the '79 to '87 beds have a gas filler door.