Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

quick question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mxrcr589, Nov 27, 2003.

1. mxrcr589

mxrcr589 1/2 ton status

say you broke your rear u joint or something, how bad would it be to drive home (20 miles ) in 4x4 to get home, with out a locker or anything

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

you can do it, its not that hard to change a rear ujoint, all you need is a couple sockets, a wrench to fit the strap bolts, a ball peen hammer and a spare joint, oh and a small propane torch....bungee cord the driveshaft up under the truck unless you have a plug to keep all the t-case fluid from draining out, and drive carefully....

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

It's no big deal at all.

I ran my Burb for about six months in front wheel drive since the gov lock had gone in the rear. I just kept a large spray can lid (large enough to cover the t-case output) and some duct tape. That kept it from leaking and really didn't hurt the truck at all.

As long as you can easily remove your driveshaft then there shouldn't be any problems at all. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif