Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

quick questions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KGsK5, Sep 18, 2006.

1. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

just a coulpe of quick questioins...

was washing my K5 yesterday and noticed that teh 2 passenger side tires were pretty low. i also noticed, when i was washing the tires, that the air was coming out from around the rim. how can i fix this? my buddy says re mount them... but i dont want to go through all that if i dont have to. any easier fixes? or is the re mount the way to go?

i also noticed that the oil in my 6.2 was really dirty when i checked it. it has only been maybe a month since i changed it and i havent really drivin it all that much in that time. are diesels supposed to run with dirty oil? (first diesel i have ever owned)

thanks
    -KG

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I'd take the tire off, and let the air out. Then inspect around the rim & tire bead. It could be that somethin got wedged in there (sticks etc). Check for all that, or even possible that it may be rusting around there. Make sure it's free from anything, and clean, and air it back up. Then just monitor the pressure to be sure it's going to hold.

3. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

the old 6.2 will dirty up the oil qiuck like because of the blowby, you could try some tire slime to seal the beads, if your lazy I would take it to a tire shop and have em inspected for safety reasons. Blowing a bead doing 65 down the highway would be kind of dangerous, with the rainy season aproaching I wouldn't risk it!!!

4. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

is the dirty oil ok to keep runnin? or should i change it more often to keep it semi-clean?

5. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

just change it every 3000 miles like normal "with filter". Make sure you use an oil approved for diesel. I use Shell rotella 15-40, Chevron delo 400 15-40 is good too!!!

6. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

gotcha, thanks!

7. Teamstatic2001

Teamstatic2001 Registered Member

Best diesel oil is mobil delvac, lil more money not crazy tho.

8. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

I would fill up the tires to pressure and hit the sidewalls with a hammer a bit. That will knock loose any small mudd or dirt in the bead and stop some leaks from trail debri in the bead.