Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick Quick, Fast Fast Hurry Hurry Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by darkshadow, Mar 26, 2005.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

I Need To Know If Mc Brake Lines Must Be Double Flared?!?!?!?!

I Cant Get My Flareing Tool To Work And I Just Cut Both Lines!!!!

Can I Get A Way With A Single Flare??????

2. tyco91burban

tyco91burban Registered Member

I wouldnt single flare them brakes are to important, they really need to be double flared to resist the presure that is put on them

3. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

sure if youd like to be wearing brake fluid all the time. i did a single flare on my buddies truck and ended up wearing half a quart by the time i was done. just double flare it, less hassles afterwards that way.

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

would a single flare hold for now?

so i could move it around? the truck is not in a good spot.
    and it is pain in the ass to try to flare the lines hard to reach, stupid truck...

5. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

did u lose the back brakes? front brakes? all of the above? cus if its just the back brakes, just take it really easy to get it home.

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

truck is at home but in a really ****ty spot (i dont have any room to work on it)

just discovered my back brack line snaped off the cly, so when i was getting ready i pulled a little on the front and it snaped off too!!!!!

so now i have to tr and get this crappy cheap ass flareing tool to work serves me right should have payed good money... but i am broke.

ok back to the truck, get this done

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

ok **** that piece of crap tool o got will work but i was in such a rush i dident see it was for copper nd brass!!!!11 its for pluming!!!!! not for steel brack lines ahahahhhhaahahhhhhhhhh

i had to move my truck around with the e brake and switching gears on the 400 lol called a buddy to see if he has one now i jut have to wait for this call.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

for temporary use, i dont see why a singe flare would be a problem, it it will seal. my K20 has compression fittings in the rear brake line, because i blew the line right before the snow started to fall this year. had to do something, and fast. it will be getting completely relined, rebraked, and all new exhaust this summer.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I've done it--but dont reccomend it!

Many of my trucks have single flared brake lines where I had to cut them to length--and my "house" plumbing flaring tool wont accept the double flare adapters(found this out on a sunday after cutting rotted lines off,and tried flaring the new ones)-:mad:

-I thought to myself a single flare CANT be any worse than the rotted lines I was replacing as far as strength--not to mention I found THREE compression fittings in the main line to the rear brakes!:blush: --neither of theese methods are reccomended--but my 74 K20 has never had a leak at the flares in 5 years,so it WILL work--but i COULD fail suddenly if you stomp on the pedal hard and fast,and it could be ugly.

..My truck mostly just plowed the yard and took trash to the dump--the few trips with heavy scrap loads to the crusher were scary,but I just stayed way back,and prayed no one cut me off.

Its best to do it right the first time if possible..now I just coil up the excess line on pre-flared ones,rather than cut them and flare them--no leaks with the "factory" flares...no time wasted flaring them either--unless looks are a concern,I dont worry about a few "pigtails" in the metal brake lines....just keep them clear of anthing that might damage them,and it will live just fine..:crazy:

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

auto zone rents the double flaring kit for 15 bucks

and they sell brake tubing different lengths all you need is a tubing cutter, like three bucks fr a small red one at farm supply store, i bought two several years ago and they still work like brand new,

yank yank :P

its easy

good luck