Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick Release Door Hinge Ideas

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nvrenuf, Feb 13, 2004.

1. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I'm thinking of doing some half doors in the future so I'm interested in doing quick release door hinges. Has anybody done anything like this? I want to leave the hinge halves attached to the body and door to retain good alignment.

BTW - I searched for both "door hinge" & "quick release door hinge" but the list is endless without ever really covering this subject.

2. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

you could do something like a jeep wrangler door.

3. nvrenuf

I had thought about that but I'm really curious to see if anyone has done anything with quick release pins. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

its been done....dont ya just love the search feature, i can never get the info
    i'm lookin for... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Well now, this is funny. You see, I made that particular mordification to my door about a year ago. I could pull my doors in less than 2 minutes and be driving down the road. Here are the bennefits and the cons.

Benefits - Cool, cheap, and easy mod to do. Plus you can get your doors off in a hurry. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Cons - If you don't do it right, your door will fall off in a parking lot like mine did! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I caught it, but the door almost hit the ground and had some serious damage to it.

Parts you need;

1. New hinge bushings
    2. 2 feet of 3/8" dia. steel rod or longer hing pins but with the same dia. and flared head (That is what I used).
    3. 3/8" washers
    4. 4 cotter pins
    5. Sumthin' ta drink
    6. Tunage to listen to

How to do it;

1. Turn on yer favorite tunes.
    2. Open yer drink and take a good long pull.
    3. Mark your doors and hinges with aligment marks.
    4. Measure how much room you have on the top and bottom of your door hinges (this is critical!!)
    5. Unbolt your doors and set them aside.
    6. Take out your old pins and bushings (remember how the bushings go it).
    7. Cut your rod or longer pins to the correct length and drill a hole in them big enough for the cotterpins to go through. Remember to cut the rod/pins long enough so that you can slip the washer over the rod/pin and still get the cotter pin in.
    8. Install your new bushings.
    9. Install the new custom pins in your hinges (Remember to put install the pins from the top on the bottom hinge and from the bottom on the top hinge).
    10. Bolt your doors back on and line up the marks you made on the hinges with the marks on the doors.
    11. Make sure everything lines up and WA-LA! Yer done!
    12. Finish yer drink and have anuther to celebrate a job well done! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    13. Turn off yer tunes if want to or turn 'em UP if the mood strikes ya! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    14. Remember to check your cotter pins cause if they break and you don't pay attention to it, the pins WILL work themselves loose on the bottom and WILL FALL OUT ON THE TOP!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Thus, yer door falls of and you look like a fool! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. nvrenuf

EXCELLENT IDEA!!! That's exactly the type of info I was looking for. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

Thank you!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I did mine a little different but works the same. I used the replacement pins you get in the brass bushing kit. It has splines that I ground off so i could pull them. The bottom one goes in like normal and the top goes in upside down. You do wear out the brass bushings a litte faster but no biggy.

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

DAMN SHANE!! Thats EXACTLY what I did!!
    To The Freakin tee!!!!
    was we drukin to geter dat nite???
    [​IMG]
    /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

9. nvrenuf

SAWEEEET! I'm a big fan of visual aids! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I did that on the 76. The doors are a little heavy, But i can pop them on and off by myself. I am going to do the same with the 73. Took me about 3 hrs to do. But, I didn't have front fenders on when i did it. I lined up the doors AFTER I modified the hinges.

11. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Cool deal! I hope it helps ya! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Great minds think alike bro! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Thanks for adding a pic. I don't have any. I usually start crankin somthing out and THEN I think "man, I really shoulda taken some pics"! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I'm thinkin about runnin tube doors on all four of my entry/exit points.

14. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I was killin myself laughing at that thing when i saw it, couldn't stop laughing. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

16. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Dude you crack me up /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

18. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

this mod seems vaguely familiar...

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

19. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

I did it on my truck, but my problem is I have power windows and locks, what a pain in the ass it is to feed the damn wires back through, I need to figure something out for the wires and it won't be so bad. Or get non-power doors, lol. The cotter pins are kind of a pain to get in/out sometimes though and I didn't use any washers and used factory hinge pins.

20. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Remove the sleeve that the wires run threw from the door to the body. Then cut the wires and add quick disconnects to the wires so when you pull the doors you just disconnect the wires.

Harley