Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick Release Door Hinge Pins

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazerpro79, May 10, 2005.

1. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

who has done the 'Quick Release Door Hinge Pins' mod to their k5? i am wanting to do this pretty bad on my day off tomorrow!!!! how well mounted are the doors afterwards... anything to watch out for? any regrets?

seems like it would not mess anything up

any feedback is welcome.... thanks

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well it uses the same hardware as stock, so mounting will be identical. You don't even have to unbolt your hinges, which is what will throw your adjustments out of whack. The only differens is the cotter pin and hole that keep the hinge pin in. I'm about to do this too, as my hinge pin bushings are shot anyway, I figure I might as well.

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I did it and one thing that makes it a little tough is since there is a load on the doors it is hard to just pull the pins out, I have gotten pretty good with some wire cutter pliers though, just grad the head and pull them out. This is only a problem for the top hinge though.
    The only other bad thing is if you have full electric doors it is good to have someone holding the door when you take that last pin out.
    Its alot easier then unbolting the door though and when you put them back on the line up just the way they were before you took them off.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I did the quick release hinge pins. One thing I learned is that if your pins fit nice and snug like they should you don't need to waste your time drilling the little hole for the cotter pins.

I have had the mod done for awhile now and I have never had a pin walk its way out on me yet if the pin was fully seated like it should be. I did have one walk out that I didn't seat in all the way which was my fault. Even when that happened all that happened is the door got a little wobbly and I realized that the door pin came loose so I reseated it correctly this time.

I use a flat blade screw driver to get the pins out of my doors. I lift up on the door to take some weight of the pin and I pop the screwdriver under the pin's head and pop it out far enough to grab and then wiggle the pin out.

Getting the 2nd pin out can be kinda fun because you have to try and support the door while you pull the pin. I have the full electric doors and they are kinda heavy but I can do the removal and install by myself. I sit on bottom door plate with my legs underneith the door and use my knees to move the door around till I can get the pins out and keep 1 hand on the door to steady it when the 2nd pin comes out.

Harley

5. blazerpro79

so you dont need to unbolt the hinge if you cut the pin right?

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you can cut the pins and get them out you don't have to remove the hinge. I personally removed the hinge and it made it pretty easy to do. I marked the hinge's location before I unbolted it and then removed it. Cut the pins out of the hinges with an angle grinder and then reinstalled the cab side of the hinge.

Harley

7. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

8. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

im in the process of this mod right now. i bought the pins, took them to work and turned the nurl down. now im having my pins coated at our shop with a grafite/ molly/ teflon coating. is made for just this type of aplication. its a thin coating that bonds to the part very well. its like a dry lube only much more durable. the pins wont get stuck or rust in place no matter how long there in there. im doing my drive pins for my tubing bender too, just so they dont bind, which they probably wont anyways but they wont rust either now that there coated.

9. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I did mine slightly different. I don't remember why, but for some reason I did not want to use the stock hinge pins, so instead I used some grade 5 bolts. I went larger than the stock hinge pins and drilled the holes out to fit a larger bolt, don't remember the diameter now :crazy: I also did not use the bushings with mine, so we'll see how long the doors stay tight :laugh: Only thing I would do different on mine is to use longer bolts so I can cut off all the threads, which I will do at some point here. The bolts are also cheaper than buying new hinges which seem to be way over priced for what they are.

And I would have to agree that the door are still tricky to take off with this system, however you don't have to realign the doors like you would if unbolted the hinges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.krazyk5.com

http://community.webshots.com/user/trcksr4me
    http://community.webshots.com/user/trcksr4me2

10. blazerpro79

of course i did but i want to ask people who have done it if theres anything else...