Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick response to sub ??'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pismorat, Mar 12, 2003.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

Quick response to sub ??\'s

My dad and I are now looking at a '99 3/4ton HD suburban. Its 4 wheel drive(of course), has a 7.4L big block, 4-speed tranny, 4:10 gears, and posi-traction. I am wondering what the general specs on this truck are, like t-case, tranny type, axle(s), and so on. Also, we want to lift it and put 35" tires on it, what size lift do we have to use. Can we get away with 4", or do we have to go 6", or could we go 4" with a slight body lift?? What are your thoughts on this rig for towing and general on/off road use, any other mods you would make. I appreciate the quick responses, seeing as ho we have to make a decision tonight!! Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

Re: Quick response to sub ??\'s

Tranny would be the 4L80E. Thats all I know /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You'll need 6 inches to clear 35's. The newer body styles just don't have much fender clearance. Even with 6 inches you may still need to do some trimming. The other problem you may run into is that the 454 has more than enough of torque to shred the front diff. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Tim (Username Butch) recently exploded the front diff on his IFS 1-ton, and it doesn't even have big tires. It's just a tow rig for his hard core crawler. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

It should have the 14 bolt FF out back (not the semi-floating). Not sure on the front differential, though. For 35's on these types of trucks, you need to go with a 6" lift. You may be able to go with 4" and slight body lift, but that's way more work than just installing an extra two inches of suspension. They are awesome trucks. You will only get 11-12 mpg especially when towing/with 35's. One thing you might want to look into is getting that B&M (I think) shift controller. Being that the tranny is the 4l80e - it's electronically controlled, so all you do is plug in this doodad and you can select softer shifts for cruising, or firmer shifts for towing and offroad. How much $$,$$$ they looking for?? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

That burb sound like my buddy's '96. He has the 454, 4L80E, 14BFF with 3:73's and Gov-Loc. With the 454, you are almost guaranteed the 14BFF and 4L80E. Sounds like quite a machine! I'm jealous! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

My friend hada 98 Z71 Burban, with a 3" body lift, we fit 33" X-terrains, but the measured a little short, so we could've fit 35's. The thing about the 4" kit is it's a 6" kit with the bars turned down, so I've seen 4" lift with 33's have less clearance than stock, so get a 4" that maxes at 4 inches, or just crank them up to 6" level.

7. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

they are asking $21,000 for it. Thanks for all the info, I'll let you know what happens. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif