Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick suspension/driveline question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by W7NB, Mar 13, 2007.

1. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

For those who saw my Yeti build thread my latest add was a 4 inch rough country lift kit. The truck looks and drives good and was level to begin with, but as soon as I loaded in my tools and search and rescue gear (probably 300+ pounds) the back end is low again. Also, when I did the lift even with the wedge to turn the back axle up my driveline is a little short for my taste and has developed a shake ove 60mph.

I need to crawl underneath tonight and change the fuel filter and install my lengthend rear brake line, and was considering installing my zero rates to level the rig back up. So question is, while I'm doing that should I slide my axle forward an inch or inch and 1/2 to gain back some driveline? The drive angles aren't bad so I don't think that would be a problem but am I opening myself up to other problems?

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

if you flex much you are setting yourself up to crunch some sheet metal. I don't think moving your axle forward is going to help with the vibration either. You really just need to get your shaft re-tubed to the proper length and have it balanced.

3. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if you move the axle down one inch and then move it forward one inch your angle is going to get worse then it is now. You have a couple of options. I would install the zero rate and move the axle back one inch. then have your driveshaft lengthened. or a slip yoke eliminator kit for the t-case would help with the driveline angles. but then you would need a different shaft then the one you have now.

4. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

Did you install new U-joints when you did the lift? If not, maybe the little bit of extra angle is killing one of your old joints.

And a question for anyone that knows, is there an aftermarket SYE kit that will allow us '90-91 guys to keep the electronic speedo sender? Or if we use a Dodge back half to kill the slip yoke, do the '90-91 Dodges have the same speedo sender?

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Mine was level as can be , maybe a little higher in the rear , until I kept adding stuff to the truck .

Try moving some forward , I.E storing things closer to the front of the rig .

Vibes is why they make CV shafts . Easier way out from a work standpoint .

6. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

I need to empty mine back out and see if I am level or a tad high and see if it changes the vibration. It's not there (or at least not noticeable) until 65 mph or so. I'll take pictures of the driveline angles and post them tomorrow and see what everybody thinks.

I did put in new u-joints when I did the lift, but they have been known to be bad. I grabbed the shaft and wiggled it but don't feel any slop.

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
    sorry I had to

8. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Doah!!!:D