Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick timing question, please read

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by littlejimmythatcould, Jun 5, 2006.

1. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

Which way do I turn the cap to retard/advance the timing? Also, what do most of you in higher altitudes have your timing set at? Just borrowed my buddy's timing light and am going to re time my truck after work. I posted up a similar post "weird idle, warm weather?" but didn't get any responses, thanks for your time.

2. 87350blaz

87350blaz Registered Member

Advance should be counter clockwise and retard would be clockwise i believe

3. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

87350blaz is correct. Retard is clockwise.

4. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I have always heard 1 degree for every 2000 feet in elevation. So when I lived at 8000 feet or wheeled there mostly manual called for 8 degrees so I usually ended up 12.

5. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

x 2 on that.:D

6. FWP

FWP CRS

Try this instead of a timing light ( factory tin can move around, be replaced etc.)

Hook up to a Vac gage to main vac. Slowly advance timing to max vacuum, back off timing 1" Hg. Vacuum follows elevation inverse. For example, I can only pull about 15" at 5000 ft elevation (solid motor). My timing is set back at 14". HTH

7. littlejimmythatcould

About a year ago when I put my motor in we set it at 14 degrees advanced. I checked it last night and it was at 5 degrees advanced, I dont' think my holddown bolt on the distributer was tight enough. I reset it at 12 degrees and am going to change my plugs tonite and see what it does. But last night I did notice a big difference in driveability even with a slight miss in the motor (plugs). The past few weeks I've been turning up the idle to (unknowingly) compensate for the drop in timing and it's taken it's toll on the plugs. I'm going to get a vaccuum gauge on the 15th on payday to help fine tune things, but bumping the timing really helped everything. I bought a distributor wrench to tighten it really good. I'll give y'all a holler when I stick them new plugs in. I'm also debating on whether or not to get my carb re jetted even though it's already at 600 cfms.

8. littlejimmythatcould

I changed the plugs and it runs a lot better now. The plugs I pulled out were fouled out with fuel and some had some burnt oil residue and a little bit of oil on them. But the set I pulled out before this set weren't this bad, but it could have been because of my drop in timing. It runs really good, but still a little hesitation, maybe my point in the distributer need adjusted, I haven't adjusted them since I put the motor in. How often you guys adjust your points?