Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick tranny help?!?!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Oct 17, 2002.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

ok, the question here is not only price, but quality.... i need tranny work and got this quote from aamco
    [​IMG]

I also might have 12 bolt differential's installed front and rear with 4.56 gears in there... how does this sound to everyone? i can probably get a loan for $5000 to do it all so that's not a main concern, but quality is and they gaurentee it for 1 year unlimited parts and labbor. please let me know if this is a good idea to do?

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

your getting jiped big time /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Check in to buying a 700R4 from the dealer. I think they are less expensive than that and still have a warranty. You might be able to find a price on a website.

4. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

That's way too much money. Quality or not. 1100 bux is about average.

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

if you pay that ammount for an AAMCO tranny, i will club you with a baby seal.

You can get a tranny qith a 1 yr. warrenty up here for $600 (TH350) C the Doctor Tranmissions in San Leandro (or San Lorenzo, cant remember) give them a call.

and i really want to see pics of this 12B front /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

do you mean a D44?

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i just called my local dealer and they said it would be 1,600 to 1,700 for the tranny then installation extra, so i think aamco would be better cause it has all the updates and it's "bullet proof" according to the guy at aamco. i may be getting ripped off, but have no other choice.... don't know a local mechanic and can't do it myself.

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i don't know what i meant... i wanted beefer diff's (i don't know if that's even right) and talked to the guy about it and he said he might be able to have someone install 12 bolt's for me.... HELP what is a 12-bolt (besides the obvious 12 bolts) and a Dana 44.... i will call the people you mentioned now, thanks

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

dana 44 above

[​IMG]

kinda bad pic of what a 12B looks like

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

still, call around and get other quotes. i can tell you something is bullet proof and then just do a stock rebuild.

AAMCO has a reputation for shoddy work, and its not like they have not earned it, IMHO.

sure, some places are good, but most are bad, and uless you KNOW PERSONALLY the guy saying its built, i wouldn't believe it.

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

new GM stuff has a 3 yr. 36k mile warreny. i would take that over a guy saying its bulletproof when it looks like a stock rebuild, IMHO

11. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

I just looked at summitracing.com and you can get a TCI 700R4 4x4 trans for $1300 or $1460. I hear you on the install. I would not want to be bench pressing a trans in and out of a blazer either. Post up for people in your area that have had trans repair done and let them tell you some good places.

12. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i called c the doctor and wish i lived closer than 5 hours from them, but it would cost me and my girlfriend $250 in gas alone for the trip, not to mention hotel, food, whatever, they quoted me like 1250 or something like that and $285 to reseal the transfer case (as opposed to the $600 quote i got out here). I might have to do the math and see if it would be cheeper to go to "C the doctor". maybe we could shack up with someone on CK5, i'll post the question in norcal's group. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

13. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

Man thats a rip off
    get a 350 or 400 trans
    believe me the 700r4's suck
    ive been thru 2 of them in 3 months
    and had the 1st one rebuild 3 times
    total of 2 tranny's 700r4's pulled it 6 times /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

14. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

ok guys, i got the blazer back from scAAmco and now i will start a new post about what path to go from here. once i figure it out. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

15. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I paid 900 installed for my 700r4. Your getting ripped.

16. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

wish i had a place to offer up. I am on parental welfare and live on Yuppie Food Stamps.

Motel 8 is cheap. or you could drive up to get it and bring it back down to your place.

Hell, if you call them and buy it, i'll meet you half way if you like.

17. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I paid 900 installed for my 700r4. Your getting ripped.

[/ QUOTE ]
    There you go drive to AZ.

18. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

$2800 and it doesn't even come with a brand new torque converter? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Man, do your homework and phone a bunch of tranny shops within a reasonable driving distance. Unless you don't mind wasting OVER $1000, that is. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I had my 700 rebuilt with all the updates and a shift kit in 1992, all for $1200, including R&amp;R. The same tranny is still in the truck.

PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT SPEND $2800 ON YOUR TRANNY!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

19. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Zakk, ain't that a 10 bolt, or is the chrome just blinding me?

20. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Don't go AAmco!!! My fishing buddy and I have both had trans. work done with them and do not reccomend them. I had the auto replaced in my f250, and he had his turbo 400 serviced with them. Nothing bad happened with his, but he did get reamed on the price. I paid almost what you were quoted and got the same spiel about quality. My trans. lasted until 3 months after the warranty. I took it to them and they blamed it on driving conditions. Looking at the specs for yours, they are NOT doing anything extraordinary to the trans. It may be a well built rebuild, but nothing special. (definitely not worth the price) I agree with the others. anyone can call anything bulletproof. But who the hell is going to be shooting at your tranny? Ha Ha. If you want a strong tranny, go with a th400. It will last a lot longer and is much cheaper. If you just want a good replacement, shop around. Ask a few people where they've had trans. work done in your area and what they paid. I just ordered the same trans. for a friend of mine from a place called Phoenix reman. Trans.. I did a little research and found a few people who had positive experiences with them. It is running us about 750 plus 200 for shipping and shipping of the core. We're putting it in ourselves, but if you talk to a few shops, you might find one that can get it in and set up and still save a lot.
    Just for comparison, My 700r4 in my 84 blazer was replaced at 85 k miles. It has had 60k miles put on it since, and the reciept from the shop where the last owner had the trans put in says 1100 for rebuild and installation.