Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick U-joint question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wingnutt, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to replace the u-joints on my '88 but I have ran into a bit of a problem. On the rear shaft, the front joint, I can't find any retaining clips. Anybody know where they are? TIA

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Has that joint ever been changed? Some factory joints have some kind of molded plastic keeping it locked in there , on the backside of the cups by the cross. You would just have to pound/press these off. PITA I know. Hope it helps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Yea I just finished. Finally got a hold of my brother, and he said that you have to heat it (just the outer part holding the cap) until that crap squirts out, let it cool. The beat them out normally. Not too bad, 156k out of the origional u-joints, huh. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah, you have to heat them up with a torch and then pound them out. Some will look original but have an inner C-clip that holds the cap in place.