Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

quickie please...th-350 fluid capacity?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77Jimmy, Sep 11, 2003.

1. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Did search but couldn't find the right combo of words. Anyway...

What's the ATF fluid capacity for a th-350 tranny using a standard depth tranny pan, not the extra deep pan? The last time I changed the fluid, I used the capacity listed in the Chiltons but it was too much (overfilled)...not sure I trust my Chiltons.

Thanks in advance! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

The capacity listed in the Chiltons is for an empty transmission. When you drain the pan and change the filter, you only lose about 1/2 of the fluid in the tranny. Last time I changed mine, it only took 4 or 5 quarts to fill back up. When I change mine, I add about 3 1/2 quarts, take it for a short test drive (just enough to warm up the truck), check the fluid level, and top it off. I have never had to add more than 5 quarts.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yep, chiltons shows complete dry refill capacityand not just pan drain refill capacity.

my pan ran out at about 3.25 quarts in the 700r4, th350 seems to be alittle more at around 4.00 or 4.25 quarts, takes less fluid than you may think to refill a pan drain job

third paragraph: http://www.snowplowing-contractors.com/automatic_transmissions_plowing_snow.html

it is right, if you dont have the tranny fluid replaced by a lube place(machine connected to cooler line) then youll want to replacethe fluid a coupleor few times, and you can do it without removing pan by tapping into the line just like the shops do and connect a 5/16" hose to a container and pumpout more fluid and add new fluid then, repeat til clean. this will getmore of the fluid from the converter and case and not just from the pan.
    good luck

4. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, guys! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Now I can go fish out the end of my tranny dipstick which broke off the other day when I was checking the fluid level. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I swear I'm not reading it wrong, but my Chiltons fluid capacity says PINTS not quarts. That's why I was screwed up on the last time I changed it. IIRC, it said 5 pts...maybe it's a typo in mine and should have been 5 qts. Anyway, knew 5 pints didn't sound right (equals 2.5 quarts if my math is right) so I did it "by feel" and I overachieved! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

technically with the cooler and everything they hold anywhere from 12-14 quarts.

NITRO