Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

quickloc, lockright in a 10bolt with 35's?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Oct 6, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

quickloc, lockright in a 10bolt with 35\'s?

Thinking about have someone else regear my blazer just to get it done ASAP (I start work on Monday). Its a street rig, sees snow, mud and sand/gravel now and then. Currently I have an open front and Auburn rear with 3.08's, I'm wanting to put 4.56's in.
    I'm looking at 4wheelparts and they have front and rear gears with master install kits for $400 (plus install) OR quickloc lockers front and rear with gears for $900 (plus install, and yes I have another open carrier to replace the auburn). I'm thinking if I go in and talk the manager and since I'm in a local truck club in which we pretty good discounts the install wont be that much more)

(option#1) What I was wondering was putting my auburn up on ebay along with the gears I have here to pay for some of the $900 and go all out for lockers front and rear with the new gears.
    (#2) OR, if I should put the auburn up front and put a lockright or quickloc in the rear?
    (#3) OR just regear and leave it open front auburn rear? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

I'd really like a powertrax out back and LSD in the front. I've never had lockers on an icy highway and since I got another in Indy I'll be driving about 50miles eachway everyday. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I dont want to get a little car to drive back and forth in the snow and have a car payment, more insurence and of course another vehicle in the driveway /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

SO... option 1, 2, or 3
    Option 4 would be OTHER and would include a response at the bottom. This is not a what gear for tire question, but I should I spend the money on a DD for lockers or leave it open/LSD. Anyone with lockers front and rear run highway speeds in the snow? Opinions?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: quickloc, lockright in a 10bolt with 35\'s?

A 10 bolt with 35s has already reached its practial limit for strength. I would leave it open up front as well, because in the snow, I don't think you're going to like the characteristics of a clutch type limited slip up front.

You currently have an auburn which is stronger than any lock-right or quick loc. IMO you already have the ideal DD setup.

3. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

auburn in rear--locker up front ---/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I really like the performance of locked vehicles. They are awesome offroad and onroad they are not bad. They are quirky at first (in the rear) but you get used to it. I drove a locked rear rig and I honestly didn't like the locking and unlocking at first but it got less noticeable as I drove it longer.

I have a welded rear and I like it better then the locked. It doesn't lock and unlock and is more predictable. It did great in the ice and snow when I was in Colorado. Didn't have any problems with it. Usually the traction it provided made it where I didn't need to engage 4x4. If the snow is deep 8+" then I would probably use the front end to help pull but I drove in 6" of snow with no problems in 2wd.

If it is a true DD then I would put a good rebuildable LS in the rear and LS or open front.

Harley

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

IMO, a locker is safer up front in the snow than an L/S because a clutch type limited slip is NEVER 100% un-locked just like it's never 100% locked. You will feel it, 4wd or not, if the hubs are locked in.

My DD has a rear locker and open front. I prefer it that way because I know how to drive with it. If it gets real slick I use 4wd high just to make sure it goes straight though.

6. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

Despite what many of the guys tend to say around here the 10 bolt with a loc-right will hold to 35s. I currently have the loc-right in my Blazer with 35s. Although I wish I would have changed gears with the loc-right, form 3.73 to at least 4.11 or possibly 4.56. I don't do a ton of highway driving but when I do the milage is great, however, in town it SUCKS. I see no sand but Nebreaka Mud is plentiful. Just after I put the psedeo locker in I took a trip through the Oregon mountians which included some good rocks and alot of mud, I was great!!! I then moved to Nebraska, flat and sucks, which has tons of great mud but nothing else in the part I am in. I'm a little B'*ch and don't want to screw up my nice paint and body in the sand so I have yet to experience that. The snow and ice here is fun, but with the locker in the rear it takes a bit of getting used to!!! A lot coming from open!!! It's really easy to swap ends, especially in a fairly short wheel based Blazer. 4 wheel is now awesome in the snow though, having three of the four wheel spin instead of just 2. Just my opinion, I'm not saying that it is superior by any means because if I wasn't trying to make my way through school I wouldn't have 10 bolts for sure. They really do lack brute strenght in regard to almost anything else, at least full-size. The best advice is do what you can with what you have and can afford. (If that makes sense.) When you can afford something better there is always someone who can't quite afford that 14 bolt or those Unimogs and will most likely be at the same place you are at now. Stuck with a decision between whether to go with this or that. Good luck man. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Just to give you another option.....

I know you said this was your street rig... But for about an extra $600(depending on what prices are now), you could get a D60 front and a 14Ff rear with a Detroit from Wayne! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But with your current axles, I would leave the set-up alone and just re-gear since you see snow driving.

8. hfactor

hfactor Registered Member

Auburn in front, eaton posi in rear. I have seen eatons front and rear in snow and ice all the time,works great. You already own the auburn so put it in front. The eaton you could reclutch and/or respring if you needed more aggressiveness later. With the most aggressive clutch/spring setup i've seen it work perfect with 44's in a 10 bolt. But you now would have multiple options. Driveability and performance without any downside.

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have the Quicloc/Detroit EZ in my 12 bolt . I need to mention that it was popping alot . I put new thrust washers in and cured it .........I thought . It is doing it again . I think if you were to buy a lunchbox locker , make sure your carrier is in good shape . I am going to end up using my other axles ( 10b 12 b ) and putting the locker in there . I have found the traction in dirt and rocks is way more addicting than I thought , I never have a problem on trail , and I have inspected it 3 times and never found any damage . I am going to keep living with this , even if I get some popping , which will probably go away with a newer carrier . And when in parking lots , you can get the inner tire to chirp , which impresses chicks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Now you can put a full carrier Detroit in your 12 bolt, and have that addicting traction with no popping. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

What is the difference between an eaton posi and an auburn posi?
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    What is the difference between an eaton posi and an auburn posi?
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, nothing. I wouldn't have either in a truck I was going to drive in the snow in the front. A locker unlocks (theoretically) completely in the snow. A posi's clutches are always providing torque bias, reguardless of input torque position.

13. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

So Eaton/Auburn is the same shite? I was looking at some pics of their design and they appear to be almost identical....

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    So Eaton/Auburn is the same shite? I was looking at some pics of their design and they appear to be almost identical....

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the Eaton is a "cone type" and the Auburn is definitely a clutch type posi. Either way, both are completely worthless off road. Ideal for DD in the rear though, combined with an open front.

15. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Why are they so "worthless" off road?

16. Emmettology 101

[ QUOTE ]
    A locker unlocks (theoretically) completely in the snow. A posi's clutches are always providing torque bias, reguardless of input torque position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not 100% true. A LSD/posi will "unlock" at times also. I had a True Trac in the front of my 86 and it "unlocked" often leaving me with an "open" front axle.

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    A locker unlocks (theoretically) completely in the snow. A posi's clutches are always providing torque bias, reguardless of input torque position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not 100% true. A LSD/posi will "unlock" at times also. I had a True Trac in the front of my 86 and it "unlocked" often leaving me with an "open" front axle.

[/ QUOTE ]

A true-trac isn't a clutch type limited slip.

[ QUOTE ]
    Why are they so "worthless" off road?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because as soon as the weight on one tire overcomes the torque bias, (very common off road, not common at all as long as all your tires are on flat ground like when on the road) it slips and you get a 1 wheel wonder.

18. Emmettology 101

[ QUOTE ]
    A true-trac isn't a clutch type limited slip.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. But they are designed to act like one and do act like one. I have had both.

[ QUOTE ]
    Because as soon as the weight on one tire overcomes the torque bias, (very common off road, not common at all as long as all your tires are on flat ground like when on the road) it slips and you get a 1 wheel wonder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your above common contradicts your comment before which you stated:

[ QUOTE ]
    A posi's clutches are always providing torque bias, reguardless of input torque position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only type of diff that would always provide torque bias regardless of input torque position is a Spool.

19. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

On the project truck , next year yes . Street truck no , can't afford it on both trucks /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

20. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I believe the Eaton is a "cone type" and the Auburn is definitely a clutch type posi. Either way, both are completely worthless off road. Ideal for DD in the rear though, combined with an open front.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got that backwards Tim (not that is matters). The Auburn is the cone-type, which I would not recommend. The cones wear against the carrier and are not rebuildable.

The Eaton on the other hand uses clutches and is rebuildable. This is the same style that is typically called a "posi" that came in many diffs before the "gov-bomb". /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I had an Auburn in my 12 bolt. I give it mixed reviews. In the snow, it never "slipped".....I always had 2 tires spinning. It tended to be noisy after getting it warmed up. It would pop and clunk which I hated.

If I were to put another limited-slip in something it would be an Eaton. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif