Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quickstar and Amway

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Apr 11, 2003.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Two of my friends have started going to these "business" meetings. They described it to me, and it sounds like Amway, yet they say its nothing like Amway... it's "Quickstar". I say it's the same basic concept.

Anyone know much about either of these?

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

yes, i was once and plan to again be a member of Quixtar. The people who started quixtar bought out amway because they didn't like the way it was going, and also Quixtar sells everything you can imagine, not just certian products. They sell kodak, GM, IBM, Microsoft, Hickory Farms, and Gateway just to name a few of the hundreds of companies..... also they sell online so you give your family your member # and they but a tv or t-shirt or whatever and you make a percentage back from it. My girlfriends dad got me into it and he's doing very well (he's also a chiropractor so i know that is most of it).

3. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyone know much about either of these?

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah, it is called a pyramid scam. Just kidding, I have heard of Amway but not Quickstar. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

But basically, they are the same concept, right? Just run a little differently?

5. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

My friend tried to convince me to join that Quixtar crap... I can't tell you what it is that makes me untrusting of it, but I wouldn't waste my time or money on doing that... Plus the sample products I was given were disgusting (the food and beverage stuff anyway)... I'd rather earn my money at a job to build up my truck and get out of my parents house... It's not like I have much of a life or anything, but I'd rather do what I do now than spend my free time on that joke of a wealth-producing program...

6. mudgition

mudgition 1/2 ton status

I was a direct dis. in Amway a couple of years ago and was making some decent change. (a couple hundred bucks a month extra) The concept is simple and works excellent. THE PROBLEM: People don't trust it because it has a history of deception. Like your friends invite you over for dinner and then you have to sit still for "The Plan". It is not run that way anymore that I'm aware of because they saw the wall they were building with their customers. It's worth looking at with an open mind. What have you got to lose? Just don't hold it against your friend if he acts weird while your there. He's just nervous. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

8. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

The only person that I have ever know that did any of that pyramid crap and didn't get bent over by it was a lady that ran a motel. She didn't try to sell it to anyone or anything, just bought the soaps, etc... and products for her motel and saved a few bucks.

9. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

ok guys, quickstar is not "pyrmaid crap", there are tons of people who do make good money off of it, you just have to be dedicated, it works, and about it being a pyrmid isn't trur either, say my father in law got me in for example, well i could easily surpass him. it's not a pyrmid for the fact that you can pass those above you, and also those above have incentives if you do well so they go out of there way to help any way they can. It costs like 100-150 to join i think and that's 1 time, may be a lot of $$$ to some and not a lot to others, but they don't rip anyone off. You pay if you have a genuin want to do the business, otherwise you will feel ripped off. i'm not mad, i hope this didn't come off that way. i just wated you to realize that this wasn't a scam because i know that it works, i've meet the people who it has worked for, granted it's hard, but you can make money at it. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Yes, you can work hard and make some money...but, like you said "those above you"... what is that? That is a pyramid. Sure, they may not make as much $ as the guys below them because maybe they don't want to do anything...but if you make money, and they signed you up, don't they get a little kick back from the company as well?
    Say you sign up 10 people under you, don't you get some $$ if they sell product? You would have to, otherwise there would be no incentive to sign more people up under you! That my friend is why it is called a pyramid... just like Amway...

11. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Quixtar IS Amway.

Amway IS based on Multi Level Marketing.

Sure people can and do make money at it, providing that they can sucessfully create enough "downstream" people to go out and get the sales. The vast majority of people who join these types of scams lose at least a little money, some lose ALOT.

The fact is that these types of businesses are generally marketed to lower income and/or uneducated people who actually believe that they can "make $8000./week in your spare time", "Make million$ in your own home business" or "Get rich quick by helping others"

If somebody thinks they can be sucessful at this sort of thing, go ahead and give it a try. If you make lots of money that's great. If you lose your a$$ then I'll be the one laughing at you the loudest.

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The fact is that these types of businesses are generally marketed to lower income and/or uneducated people who actually believe that they can "make $8000./week in your spare time"

[/ QUOTE ]
    where did you get this fact from?

[ QUOTE ]
    If somebody thinks they can be sucessful at this sort of thing, go ahead and give it a try. If you make lots of money that's great. If you lose your a$$ then I'll be the one laughing at you the loudest.

[/ QUOTE ]
    i agree totaly, my point was that it is possible to make money from it and i know it's a risk and most people will lose money.

13. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fact is that these types of businesses are generally marketed to lower income and/or uneducated people who actually believe that they can "make $8000./week in your spare time"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

where did you get this fact from?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh c'mon, you really want to argue about THAT?

I get that fact from first hand experience and from just taking a logical look at the techniques that are used.

First of all, by uneducated I don't mean stupid. I mean that some people out in the world are just not saavy enough or they are too trusting of people that they believe almost anything someone in authority says. They just haven't been run through the ringer and dragged through the mud enough to learn that "The Big Bad Wolf" really does exist and he's trying to suck every penny out of you that he can.

These organizations are just one big hyped up sales pitch. I've sat in their "rally's" and experienced the moronic verbal manure that they fling around. I've also experienced the dishonest, unethical and undocumentable claims that these scheisters spit out.

It usually starts with "Let me tell you about an incredible ground level business opportunity" followed by an exclusive invitation to somebody's house for "a business meeting" or "a discussion" followed by promises that "Everyone Will Want to Buy This Product!". These statements are then backed up with with things like "Just look at the math!" and "It's the opportunity of a lifetime". When you introduce to the "Host" or "expert" the idea of failure due to market saturation and point out that most people fail at this type of thing, he will respond with something like "Yes, most will fail. I can see that you have thought this through and seem to have a better grasp of this that anyone else in the room. I can tell you are a very intelligent person who will go far in this company."

When all is said and done, a number of people in the group have paid their "membership" fee and they are gung-ho to make money so they go out and try to sell more products. What they don't understand is that the only money to be made is not from the product or service but from the losses of people lower down in the organization.

This is Multi-Level Marketing at it's finest. It's been around for decades and has failed as a profitable method of distributing goods over and over again yet it still exists because "a sucker is born every minute" and there is always someone waiting to take his money.

Answer this: Who makes a living at this sort of thing?

You will find that the people who are able to earn a living at Multi-Level Marketing are not the people selling product, it's the people that get the most "suckers" to pay their membership dues and sell a few things while duping their freinds and neighbors into doing the same thing.

If you want to get involved in this sort of thing (sounds like you already are involved) then all I can say is make sure you understand everything that is going on. If you can make honest money at it then congratulations.

But remember, the REAL money in MLM's is made by tricking people into forking over a few bucks to join, having them sell a few things while recruiting a handful more people to add to their (and your) downstream by promising things that will never happen. That's called lying for a living.

If that is how someone wants to earn their living then that person does not deserve nor will they ever experience honor, respect or prestige. Unfortunately, there are lot's of people out there that are Sh!theads and they don't seem to have a problem with it. It's against the law to kill them so the rest of us just need to make their lives as miserable as possible. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

...come on Goober! Quit sugar coating it and tell us how you really feel! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I agree w/ everything you said...been there and heard that "you'll be rich in 1 year" crap myself...didn't sign up...I wonder why!

15. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ...come on Goober! Quit sugar coating it and tell us how you really feel!

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If I did that, Steve would have to delete the thread.

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

your point is accurate, i agree that the business is not for 99.9% of the people and it is difficult to make money in it, but the reason that i seem to be bias towards it is because it (if done secussfully) is one of the few ways to make a decent living and still havae time to spend at home with the family. i'm not saying it takes no time, i do understand that it takes a whole lot of time. and a lot of sour looks from people also along the way, but i want my family to be happy and i could spend my life at a normal job and leave everyday for work till i'm 50 or even 65, but if i do join quixtar, it will be after through research. once again, i agree with what you said, but i also think this can work for someone motavited enough, which may make you think i'm nieve or gulliable, but i hope not.

17. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Well, it sounds like you are gonna give it a shot so Good Luck. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What I don't understand is that you know and understand that most people fail to make any money, many people lose large amounts of money and the only people who make money are the liars and the cheats who trick their freinds and neighbors into forking over their hard earned cash yet you still want to get involved because it will help your family? Taking financial risks with your family's income on scheme's that have a "99.9%" failure rate is irresponsible at best and borders on negligence.

I applaud your desire to provide for your family but I would suggest that you will have a much greater chance at success if you created your own dreams by starting your own business rather than acting as chum in somebody elses dreams.

If you think you have what it takes (sounds like you do) then you can be sucessfull without pestering everyone else in your life to "join the team" and "realize your dreams". Start your own business and get the whole family involved. It doesn't matter if it's a toilet scrubbing company or an aircraft manufacturing plant, at least you won't have all of your freinds afraid to come over to your house because you are always trying to get them "in" on the MLM action.

Besides ....... do you really want to be a toiletries salesman /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif ?????????

18. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    and the only people who make money are the liars and the cheats who trick their friends and neighbors into forking over their hard earned cash yet you still want to get involved because it will help your family?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would do my best to inform everyone that I may recruit of the facts first. That way I would have someone I knew was informed of the great risks and still motivated to continue with the business if they thought they could make it. The only reason this business appealed to me is because:
    a. I don’t like going to a conventional job every day where if you feel sick, or want vacation time, or whatever, you have to explain to your boss and hope that there ok with it. I just feel like they own my life, and I hate the fact that they can dictate what I do in my life.

b. the freedom of time this offers is greater than going to work or even owning your own business, I believe that with this you can make an income in a few years that is enough to where you don't have to go out and "recruit" people anymore and the residual income will be enough to live on, thus freedom from work.

I understand this sounds far fetched and I’m only 22, so I may be young and naive..... But I have time /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif if I try quixtar, spend money on it and it fails, I’ll have learned my lesson. But I don't want to not even give it a change because I *think* I might fail. I don't think that to make money I’ll have to lie or even mislead people. I think I can inform them of all the possibilities of success and failure and let them make an informed decision.

19. stuper

stuper Registered Member

primerica is the same way. its a branch of citibank. they need you to "recruit" ppl to help u make money. what bullship. they require money down and the money is nothing until your like uber vp somewhere. the ppl here fell for it, the guy that recruited me asked me to leave cuz i questioned the practices. in their information seminar they made so many falsehoods about life insurance that i spoke to the individuals after the presentation and they all said "i'll look into it" but i never got a word back in 3 weeks. watch the scams. stay away from quickstar, primerica, and amway. for the money you earn you are better off working part time and having a main job.

also remember before u sign READ THE FRIGGIN /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

sorry my rant feel free to comment

theo/stuper