Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quiet and Wi Fi Question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 79Stomper, Jun 5, 2006.

1. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Is it just me or has it been awefully a little quiter since Can Can has been back?

Times like this I enjoy the lounge.

Now for the question.

Now I have a Wireless G network (Linksys 2.4 GHz) in my house for about 9 months now. Well I have only been here for 3 or so months during this time. How hard is it to encrypt the signal for my laptop and possibly the desktop? Desktop is still wired but looking for a wireless card for it?

2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

128 bit WEP is easy to set up. Go to your router settings and use a passphrase to generate the WEP key. Do the same with the same exact passphrase on your computers.

It's "secure enough" for a home network.

3. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

jagged speaks the truth.

and converting an already wired desktop to wireless is silly. Might as well convert a k5 to IFS

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

10/100 Ethernet is my connection of choice for a home network. Laptops are best suited for the wifi. There's nothing like an intelligently wired home network. I've done a couple, and it's nice, you can even buy cover plates for jacks so you can have phone, cable, and lan connections in the same spot.

5. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well the reason I want to do this is so I can eliminate having a cord ran across the floor where everyone who is nto familiar with the house can trip over it and well either bust their head on a 55 gallon fish tank, a 30 gallon fish tank or snatch my modem out of the socket on the wall. Thats the only reason I would do a wireless connection on the desktop, plus in my daughters room so I don't have to run line throughout a house that isn't mine.

6. CustomChevy

go gigabit

sissy

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Seriously, though. What desktop hardware can actually maintain a gigabit of throughput? Not necessary. 100 mbit is good enough. Gig-E is cool, but 10/100 is so cheap nowadays.

Of course if you wanted to be adventurous you could go token-ring ;)

8. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I agree with Jagged here. I just did this and it is wasy as pie. It's gotta be if I can do it.

9. CustomChevy

haha 16/4 FOR THE WIN!

I suppose i'm slightly spoiled dealing in larger office style networks, but everywhere I have implimented gigabit EVERY used has commented on the overall feel of the network being way better.

that and there's NOTHING like the feeling of moving a DVD's worth of data between pc'd in seconds.

10. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Seconds? on PC's? These machines must have SCSI or some fast SATA drives. ATA-133 transfers a maximum of 133 MBits/Sec, hardly touching the 1000 MBit/Sec cieling of Gig-E. A motherboard's northbridge and southbridge can only move so fast, and the data bus that a media is attached to is the ultimate limitation. For a home network, which frequently has computers that have a maximum of ATA-133, 10/100 is the cost-effective solution. Until PCI-E and SATA/SCSI become the norm, Gig-E is uneccessary in a home network.

11. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

On a sidenote any "overall feel" of a network being faster is a result of having a faster hub/router configuration. A network only moves as fast as the switches, hubs, and routers can move. If they're all on Gig-E standards, of course their going to move faster than their 10/100 counterparts. I still stand what I stated before; for a home network 10/100 is more than satisfactory.

But back on topic now, if you want to avoid running Cat-5 all over the house due to non-ownership, 802.11g wireless will be sufficient. If security is your concern, then the 128 bit WEP that is acessible from your router is more than enough for a home network. If you find speed lacking, you can try the 64 bit WEP. It's secure enough to deter the roaming "sniffer" and fast enough not to have much an effect on the overall network.

12. CustomChevy

who the hell uses ATA-133 drives anymore???? jesus are ya still using steam engines in your 89?!?!?!

SATA II

13. CustomChevy

why bother? thats like saying a 305 is plenty for a blazer.

gigabit stuff is generaly no more expensive than normal 10/100 stuff these days, no reason not to use it.

14. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I prefer WPA over WEP encryption and MAC filtering is awesome.

15. CustomChevy

MAC filtering is stellar.

16. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Until you start MAC cloning :D

17. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Whats awesome is remote router access and MAC filtering. My gf was using my computer the other day. I logged into my router from work and blocked my own MAC address. She was wiggin out cause the connection kept goin up and down. :haha: :haha:

18. CustomChevy

true, but its not easy to find a MAC of something behind a router you cant access.

Harder to get around than WEP anyway

19. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Wow turn a bunch of Computer geeks loose and look out:yikes: . My head is spinning from all the Cloning, Gigs, SCSI/SATA, stuff.:D

Couple of other things besides setting up a WEP, I thought of that you might want to do to secure your network if you haven't already done so.
    1. Rename your router from its manufacture name (ex)Netgear, Linksys, G link ect. To a name of your choice. Make sure change the name on the the wireless card to the same name that you picked for the router also. If it does not do it automaticly.
    Its best to hide the manufacture of your router cuz It is easier to hack a router if you know what brand it is.

2. Change your router user name & pass word from its default password (ex) admin. admin. To one of your choice . If someone does hack your system and your router is not password protected they can do anything they want to to it. Like change your settings ECT.

Both are very easy to do and add more levels of security.

IMO a WEP is fine for most home networks. But If you live in an apartment complex with a bunch of bored pirates around. A MAC filter is much better.