Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quiet Mufflers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rcamacho, Oct 31, 2004.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

I'm running a BBC with headers and a RV cam. There are currently some smallish turbo style mufflers on it and it's very loud. Any suggestions on replacement 2 1/2" versions? I understand that a larger case is desirable. I'm considering the Flowmaster 70 series as I've had fiberglass mufflers burn out the material inside before.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I run a set of the Flowmaster 70 series on my BBC. Much better than the 40's that were on it, but they are VERY big canisters. Almost 24" long (each)....

From what I remember the 70-series was supposed to be the quietest option in the Flowmaster lineup.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I have turbo mufflers(2" pipes), but they are pretty quiet. Wish I had 40 series FM /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

The 70 Series is the quietest muffler Flowmaster makes, or you could go with a MagnaFlow 5" x 11" x 22" muffler, it is straight through so no performance loss like the Flowmaster. Oh yea.. it has a lifetime warranty as well, they do not use fiberglass so no worries of it blowing out, but if for some odd reason it did you can just exchange it for a new one. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hemi Super Turbos are supposed to be quiet.

6. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I use to run 2-1/2" Summit Turbos on my ElCamino. They were pretty quiet until you got on them.

Think they were under $15/ea so even if they dont work out, cheap enough to try /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Just bought a DynoMax 17749 from Summit to replace the previous one that only lasted 50k miles on the WonderYota. It's a 2.25"/2.25" double offset muffler and is pretty quiet. I favor quiet, doesn't attract unwanted attention, like from folks in BRB's profession. Search out the DynoMax page, there is a pdf download of all of the different configurations and each is marked "Street" (quietest), "Sport" (louder), or "Race". The numbers above each muffler's diagram in the .pdf like "XXX/xxx" are approx max HP Single/Dual exhaust.

8. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

I had an exhaust put on by midas with these two oem style truck mufflers 2 1/2 inch. With my 390 stroker and headers you could not hear it, the sound of the air was louder.