Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quiet Mufflers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tecton, Aug 30, 2003.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

Is there such a thing? Without taking a huge chunk out of your performance...i dont be a low rumble...i mean like stock grandma car quiet.

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

The only quiet muffler I know of would be stock. Maybe you could get by with some turbo mufflers. I'm sure someone makes a *quiet* turbo mffler. Thats about all I know of for a quiet muffler.

Kris

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have found that Maremont HD mufflers perform better than OE mufflers and are pretty quiet.
    Go to some exhaust shops and look at OE mufflers for the vehicle. If you look down the inlet hole you will probabally see the pipe neck down to a smaller diamater pipe. This hurts performance.
    Try to find a muff that stays the same diamater all the way thru and it will give a little better performance.
    But if you want whisper quiet /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif you will have to sacrifice performance. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

well, my k5 is in the shop, 350, headers, glasspacks. So ive been driving my mom's mountaineer (explorer) and i must say..being able to hear yourself talk is quite a luxury, lol

5. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

well just putting a set of turbos on and ditching the glass packs will do wonders for ya /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Flowmaster makes a SUV series thats is suppose to be quiter than the 50 series inside (less resonance (SP?)).

Thats what I'm getting ready to order 3"/dual 2.25" out I think is about $60-70

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I think my Flowmaster 50 is quiet, I would imagine the 70 series would be quieter yet......

8. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I have/had 70's on the BBC, and I gotta say they are REALLY quiet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan

9. jjlaughner

Yeah the SUV series is a newer 50 series with less resonance (again sp?), I thought the 70 series where (larger bodied) for the BB applications?

10. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I can't even hear my 50 series after the swampers get above 15mph... does that mean it's quiet? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

11. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I have dynamax 50's hooked to Doug Thorlys headers and think they are very quite...but I have lots of low end torque /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

12. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

r we just gettin old or what?? these trucks r supposed to b loud. the louder the better /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

NITRO

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea..i want something thats loud and sounds nice when u put ur foot into it..but is quite at idle..cause im usualy in and out late at night and my negihbor bitches 24/7 over how loud my truck is so i went out and bought some 20 doller cheapos from advance and those things are quite as hell..allthough they sound ok..(thats just cause i have headers) what i really want is some nice flowmasters like the 50-70s something quite so i dont have to worry bout my truck ideling in the driveway at night.. yet deep and mello for when i floor it going up the street! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I can't even hear my 50 series after the swampers get above 15mph... does that mean it's quiet? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 40s and I still think they're quiet compared to my 38.5" TSLs. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

15. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

If you not set on Flowmaster you could go with a long bodied MagnaFlow muffler and that will be pretty quiet, if you want it real quiet like OE mufflers then add a 4" round muffler / resonator in front of the MagnaFlow muffler. You will have the performance of straight through exhaust with very little sound.

16. ShitownK5er

ShitownK5er 1/2 ton status

I work at a custom exhaust shop and i put a set of dual Xlerators on my 97 chevy 2500 with a 5.7 and they're pretty quiet at idel but when you get on them they got sound. Now i have both cats on it. The xlerators i have are center/center and 3inch straight through. We've done a couple of catback dual jobs with them and they're alot quieter than a flowmaster, even quieter than the suv series flowmasters. Xlerator

17. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

The Xlerator is what I have on my cat-back dual system. Decent sound when you punch it, but quiet enough at cruising speed to keep the police happy.

18. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    r we just gettin old or what?? these trucks r supposed to b loud. the louder the better /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

NITRO

[/ QUOTE ]

Put a load exhaust on your blazer and drive it back and forth to Indy (daily)! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    It goes OLD real quick not being able to hear the radio at 70MPH! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    In pickups its not a loud because it doesn't echo in the back area and come forward. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

True dat, but my truck was always MUCH louder than anyone else on this site will tolerate. I can't even hear it at all in the cab, even at 3,000 RPM when cruising. I could before when I had the glasspacks or when I had the straights, but the Flowmaster 40s I have are fairly quiet. I can't hear my exhaust at all anymore over the Swampers.

I'd assume a set of 50 series Flows would be pretty quiet, even on a Blazer. I can't imagine you wanting it any quieter than that.

20. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Pepboys generic turbo mufflers are very quiet.