Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quiet performance muffler?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Alex, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Alex

Alex Registered Member

Hi all, any such thing as a high flow - quiet - performance muffler with 3-inch inlet/outlet? My current unit is giving me headaches under tow. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Quiet...performance....DOES NOT COMPUTE
    Error
    Error
    Error

3. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

What kind of muffler do you have now ? Do you have a full legnth tailpipe, or a short turndown, or what ?

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Because of a run in with the Wisconsin State Patrol, I had to change out my glasspack with a quieter muffler. So, I took it to the shop that put the dual exhaust in, and they installed an "Xelerator" muffler. Much quieter than before /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif but no loss in performance/power (well, not noticeable anyway). It still has a decent grumble during hard acceleration though, so I'm happy about that. It's just less of a cop magnet now. (By the way, the muffler they put in was a 3" inlet, dual 2.5" outlet - at least I think those are the sizes)

5. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i've got a set of dynamax mufflers, i think the turbos, pretty cheap, good airflow, pretty quiet at idle and low rpms...doesnt get loud till the engine opens up at the high 2k-low 3k range, then it gets pretty loud...

thats about the best you're going to find for a performance muffler, quiet most of the time, from my experience anyways

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Flowmaster 70 series. They come in all different sizes and inlet outlet configurations. They Flow real good and are pretty quiet at idle and cruise. But sound great when accelerating. Not real loud they just sound good.
    I'm running a 3" with no cat and with a turn down right after the muff on my K5 and its not bad( I dont like loud exhaust) and I have installed a couple of single 3" systems with 70 series on buddys trucks who did not want real noisy exhaust and they are pleased.

7. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

just run two "turbo" mufflers! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif One right after the other, that should give you some cheap quiet

8. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I like the dynomax's. I believe they flow a pinch more than flowmasters (difference isn't much) and have a lifetime warranty as opossed to one year. Not to mention almost a third less. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 4DiggerDan

4DiggerDan 1/2 ton status

Just run open headers for about a month, then when you put your exhaust back on you'll appreeciate how quiet it is /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I like the dynamax super turbo. You can get them from Kragen for around $30.

11. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

ive run dynomax super turbos in 3 and 21/2 inch and the 3 are still pretty loud but that was with turn downs

12. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

I put the Gibson exhaust on my '87 blazer. It is not as loud as the flowmaster, and slightly louder than stock. Overall I am very happy with it. They even have a stainless steal exhaust that you can purchase. It is 3" from the CAT to the outlet.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Danny

13. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

i HAD one 3" in/out flowmaster series 50. it was pretty loud for my taste, esspecaily running it down the highway i couldn't hear my tires /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif (i like there sound better /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

so i traded it out for a MAGNAFLOW. and i'am very happy. first off the sound is nice and is only noticable really around 1500-1900 in my truck. after that it shuts right up, so you could fly down the road and not even hear it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    second: if you look down inside a flowmaster there baffled, not so with the magnaflow its 3" right on through. so you get great performance and lower sound /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I thought they (Flowmaster 70's)were supposed to be quiet too...that was until I heard them on Shawn Spicklers truck...those damn things are LOUD...when we (me, Tim and TJ) were coming up on his 6 on the interstate, you could easily hear how mean his engine was from like 1/4 behind him...LOUD...Granted, it is behind a built 496 BBC with 3" piping...

Chris

15. Alex

Alex Registered Member

pilgrim, is your MAGNAFLOW 2 or 3 chamber? In, general, the 2 chamber models tend to be loud.

16. MITCH_89'

MITCH_89' Registered Member

2 days ago, I put a Delta Flow Flowmaster 50 series on my 89. To me, It is perfect. When I Get into overdrive, I cant even hear it. But it sounds sweet at idle and acceleration. Go to flowmasters website and find sound clips. I paid 150 installed

17. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Alex.. I have an 87-91 Flowmaster CAT back kit (3" Mandrel bent) with 50 series Delta Flow, shoot me a PM if interested.

18. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

I've got a Flowmaster 70 series in my 83. Nice and quiet until you step on it, and even then its perfectly tolerable. To tell the truth, the rear window needs ot be down to really hear it. With the window up, the cab is nice and quiet

19. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I have a six month old Flowmaster 3" inlet, 3" outlet, 3-chamber. It is supposedly loud, but I don't think so. I am willing to get rid of it if I can get a louder 2-chamber. I am even dumping it right behind the muffler. Anyone wanna trade???? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

20. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

as far as i can tell alex the Magnaflow i have does not have any chamber type design. looking down the inside there is the 3"in/out pipe running straight through with 1/4" holes all over the inside, behind which i'am told is very good "lifetime" glass pack material.. at first this kinda turned me off(the glaspacking) but after hearing the nice lower rumble at idle and better control of sound at highway speeds,(it gets quitier /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). and the fact that you can't get any lower of a restriction than straight through /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif they win... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif