Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quietest Flowmaster?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dave_90_blazer, Apr 1, 2004.

1. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

Well guys?

I have a 380HP/440TQ 355 in my 90 and want it quieted down some(alot), it needs a new exhaust anyway, so wondered what mufflers I should go with

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Quietest Flowmasters? Probably the 70 series Flowmasters. Nice little rumble at idle, noticable under acceleration, but very unintrusive at cruising speeds. Good muffler.

Kris

3. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

This Flowmaster will let you compare what type of muffler you want on there, I like the sound of the 50 series my self, but everybody has their own pref. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Good Luck,
    Also check summit, sometimes they have good sales.
    Jesse

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

A friend of mine has a 70 series Flowmaster on it, it's nearly as quiet as a stock muffler, but still has that signature Flowmaster sound to it. Sounds nice, but as mentioned before i also prefer the 50 series, not super loud, but has a nice rumble to it, i have one similar to it on my Nova /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

If you're not set on Flows, try a Magnaflow. Put one on my 91 Burb and absolutely love the sound. Quiet but a nice rumble. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

That one similar to the Flowmaster i said i had installed in my Nova, was the Hooker Aerochamber, it's an awsome sounding muffler.
    I had it installed on my '88 Iroc Camaro also, and it proved it made a quicker E.T. in the quarter. Not alot, but it did.
    When i bought the car it would run 15.1 consistantly, after the muffler and polyeurothane torque mount, it dropped to 14.7, consistantly. I could have bet on that car. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Those times were also on an engine that had 165k miles on it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Dang four tenths is pretty damn good fer just a muff... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you want it quieted down a lot go with Dynomax super turbos. They flow better than a 50 series Flowmaster and are a lot quieter.
    I just put a set on my Mustang and love them. Nice and quiet at idle and cruise but when you get on it people know you have something to fear.
    I have 70 series flowmaster headers and no cat and a dump on my K5 its a good muff Pretty mellow till you get on it. Sounds good and not bad a cruise and idle. But the Dynomax supers are quieter. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah thats the other thing you need to take into consideration is the size of the cat, if you get one of those high flow smaller cats, the tone will be louder than with the stock unit. The stock cat acts like a muffler in itself.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would get something other than flowmaster if you want quiet. There are far better flowing mufflers out there if you dont mind them being quiet.

11. dave_90_blazer

what are some good flowing mufflers, not flowmaster?

oh, and no cat, dual exhaust

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Dynomax, Magnaflow, anything from the high performance catalog is better than a Flowmaster.

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i had those same mufflers on my truck when i first got it and it sounded nice with the headers, but i was forced to take them of, but when i take it to have the new exhuast put on im putten those back on it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. dave_90_blazer

[ QUOTE ]
    i had those same mufflers on my truck when i first got it and it sounded nice with the headers, but i was forced to take them of, but when i take it to have the new exhuast put on im putten those back on it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

which mufflers?

15. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I happen to love my Flowmasters. Backin off a bit yes they are 40's and loud but the motor revs right up with plenty of power and what not. I'm assumin that they will design the same abilities into all their mufflers. Just my thoughts.

Good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan

16. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Do't they make Flowmaster 80's for like RVs and stuff? maybe try those...

I have Flow 50's and they are LOUD. Esp with daul 3" pipes and a 454

Chris

17. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Do't they make Flowmaster 80's for like RVs and stuff? maybe try those...

I have Flow 50's and they are LOUD. Esp with daul 3" pipes and a 454

Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

Definately need to take into consideration the fact if a Catalytic converter is used, if it's stock or aftermarket, the stock cats act like a muffler, i have a 50 series on my truck right now, and all it produces is a mild rumble due to the stock GM cat. When i had the same muffler installed on my other vehicle with the same kind of motor and an aftermarket (smaller) cat, it was much louder.
    With my truck, and the factory cat, i can literally remove the muffler and get a decent sounding, louder rumble with it. Just not the tone i like.
    If you want loud with these mufflers or most any high flow muffler, remove the cat, mild loudness with nice tone, get an aftermarket cat(smaller) quiet rumble, leave or replace with factory cat.