Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

quietest performance muffler there is???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85 Jimmy, Jun 7, 2006.

1. 85 Jimmy

85 Jimmy Sheepdog Premium Member

I'm about to put my new motor and tranny in my truck, and since i'm adding headers i'm going to need to go with new exhuast. I don't want it to be loud since this is my DD and i do take girls out in it and i'd like to be able to talk to them while they're there, and if i don't want to talk to them i'll turn up the music.

anyway, back to the question. what's the quietest perfomance muffler there is out there. i want the deep mellow sound when i get on it but i don't want to be able to hear it at all going down the road at cruising speeds or at idle either really. But i'm planning on 2.5" inch dual exhaust, planning on somewhere around 300 hp, so i don't want it to be too restricted

anyway enough of my rambling, and any advice will help

thanks

2. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

TALK???:haha:
    Flowmaster
    I had the dude put one on the Cad last time, It was just like you said but then its quiet in a Cad. Sounded sweet outside, like an expensive Rye.
    Shoot, I should cut that thing out and weld it into the Burb.:haha:

3. 85 Jimmy

85 Jimmy Sheepdog Premium Member

40 series?
    50 series?
    delta flow?
    what? and how long was the exhaust? i plan on running it just long enough for the tips to come out right BEFORE the rear tire at an angle, oh and i'm not running catalytic convertors.

and yes i'll talk to the girls in the truck, but again when i get tired of that i'll turn up the music as loud as it'll go.

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

MUSIC??? Am I gettin accross?:haha:
    Check the flowmaster site, IIRC they have sound effects to sample. Somebody does.

5. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

i got some hooker areo chambers 2.5". they are only loud when you step on it.

6. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

Stay away from Flowmasters if you want quiet. Even the 70 series can resonate horribly. I have dual magnaflows with no cats and it sounds good. Not overly loud at idle or highway speeds but pretty loud at WOT. The quietest I've heard that has decent performance are Gibsons.

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Right there,,,i had this on my IROC, it sounded very nice, nice mellow tone, opened up some when you stood on the throttle, but not horrible to where you couldn't hear anything else, just a nice tone...i am planning on using them on future planned exhaust systems:waytogo:

8. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Dual 70's work well on my BBC. I can carry on a conversation and hear the stereo.

9. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

If your running duals then you don't really need to go above 2.5" anyway and don't put echo tips/bell tips on there if you want it somewhat quiet. My '71 has headers, 2 1/4" pipes with flowmasters on it and sounds just right. Quiet when I don't get on the skinny pedal and growls like a demon at WOT

10. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I had some gibsons on my truck for a little while, they sounded nice, not loud at all, and a great performing muffler.

11. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

I would agree with that, I have flowmaster 40's with a H pipe, and though I like racecars, there driving me nuts in the k5, I have Magnaflo in my wifes cherokee and it's a lot softer tone.

12. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

DYNOMAX Super Turbo. I have a single 3" w/stock cat and its not loud but you get that mellow grumble if provoked but no noise at road speed...I like it.

13. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I run turbo mufflers from autozone.. nice and cheap.. and sound ok.... :crazy:

14. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I'm not familiar with Gibsons. Is there a certain model/part # that you ran?

15. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

16. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I actually still have that gibson muffler, I had it on my truck for a week, then my motor took a dump then I redid the whole exhaust system, dual exhaust...

The gibson system is a cat-back system, all aluminum mandrel bent, it went on my 87 blazer. It sounded real nice, had a good tone and wasnt pingy, just a little grumble and when you hit the go pedal it sounded good too but not overly loud. I paid quite a bit for it, it was like 315 or something close to that. If your interested I have had that exhaust system setting in the garage in the original box for over 3 years now. Its in perfect shape and I only had it on there for a week if that. Make an offer if interested.

17. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just a thought here I had a dual exhast with 2.25" turbo mufflers (dynomax) not very loud put the duals into a single right after the t-case and the same muffler(except 3") and it was a little quiter. I also tried those screens you put on the header outlet they helped a little too. Coolest thing about them is they made my small block sound like a big block

18. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

X2 on the no resonating tips, I :hack: my tips off this weekend and it is a lot quieter, but still pretty loud. I have dual 40 series flowmasters. And I too have been considering some quieter exhaust :ignore: .