Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quit my job today (kinda long rant)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tRustyK5, Aug 18, 2004.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I had a good job that I really enjoyed up until a week or two ago. I build aerospace tooling mostly...

Since the day I was hired I told my boss I could commit to working afternoon shift for 5 years and then I could move to days if required. I was hired on that basis.

I prefer afternoon shift because during the day my wife works and I can watch my kids. As a couple we decided to sacrifice our time together during the evenings to give our kids an upbringing without daycare if at all possible.

A couple of weeks ago my boss tells my foreman to tell me we will be moved to dayshift as of August 16th.

I have spent 4 years there working my way up and into a position of running the fab shop when my foreman got promoted (if and when). I have never once refused any overtime, have come in on my holidays, and had the best attendance in the shop for the last two years. There was not a job I wouldn't do if asked and they knew it...so when things were slow I'd get dropped into whatever department needed a hand.

I had to tell my foreman that if they insisted on moving me to dayshift I'd have to find another job...so he had a long conversation with my boss and that decision was reversed.

So...to wrap this up, today they hire a guy for dayshift which I don't have a problem with. What pissed me off beyond words is this guy is now running the fab shop... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

When my foreman got me calm enough he had me conviced to go home, cool off and then make my decision on Monday. So I left early and I got home to a message from my boss telling to come back in 'or else'. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

That decision sure got a lot easier to make. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I guess he thought threats and intimidation was gonna make me decide to stay. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

Jack-ass

Rene

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

holy sh!t Rene, that really sucks that happened... hopefully something will happen, and it will be better/... good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

don't ya hate power trippin bosses!? I hate mine, but the money is too good to quit. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    don't ya hate power trippin bosses!? I hate mine, but the money is too good to quit. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This job paid 65K/yr plus 100% of medical, dental, optical, extended health, long term disability and life insurance. That and 3 weeks paid vacation per year. At this point double all of that and I still would have quit.

My ex-boss is an arrogant twat.

Rene

5. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

... 65K CDN or USD? Just curious (nosey?) /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

6. tRustyK5

CDN...$49300 USD according to the exchange rate today.

Rene

7. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I told mine "if she's gonna talk to me like I'm a little child again , she can have the keys", Her husband and I have something in common, we both want to Donkey (darn) her. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif she's a real "C" word, ( /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifI try not to use that word /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif)

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

that sucks dude! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I had my EX-boss step-up in my face and start gripe'n bout something (that wasn't my fault, as usual (communication errors between MGT second shift to me on third), then started preachin something about company loyalty. To which I told him to back up 2 steps or I'd knock him across the room, then told him they needed to learn employee loyalty in the since they kept blaiming me for their errors (I wont go into details but after I had a talk with the owners son he quit working for his father and opened his own printing business as a rival company to his family /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif) As soon as he backed up I reached in my pocket and handed him the key to the building and told him I didn't need it anymore [​IMG]

Anyhow, I was saving this comic for another one of belly aching sessions but now seems appropriate also.
    [​IMG]
    they expect loyalty/respect without returning it /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear that it had to come to that. I gave a firm eight good years (and then some w/the OT I used to work) - so when a major client pulled the plug on our contract - I got booted. That was 3 years ago. Been with 2 other firms since and this one is gonna close our office next month (unless another firm buys it) /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Oh well - I'll land on my feet.

10. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear that, but it is probobally for the best.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My boss got in my face monday and set me off, I went off on him in a similar manner and he told me to, "Come back when I want to work."

I told his ass off and I don't think I'll be going back, but he has called me three times already in the past three days wanting to, "work something out." /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

First time in my life I have ever told a 60 year old man "[darn] you". I certainly didn't expect to even have a job after that.

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[darn] em.... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    [darn] em.... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Now they'll see how good the new guy is I guess /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Rene

14. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Sorry Rene.....That really sucks. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Just today I had this conversation with my boss. We just got some big orders in today.

Him: I don't think I should go on vacation next week with all the work we got going

Me: Why not, it's not like your going to be out in the shop helping.

Him: You're right, we can hire some high school drop out to sit here play games on the puter and answer the phone all day.

Me:Yep.(as I walk back to the shop)

15. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Wow man that sucks.These are some of the reasons i am self employed.I would wait and see if thell call ya back appologising...........then you might get a raise /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifif not, go get a job somewhere else /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

damn Rene that sucks /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

17. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I love my boss, I've almost taught him all my favoite Pulp Fiction lines.

"Awww man I shot Marvin in the face"

"Go check the salad bar"

"Awwwwwwwwwwwww....."

Anyway, sounds like you;re pretty skilled, good luck finding another!

18. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    I love my boss, I've almost taught him all my favoite Pulp Fiction lines.

"Awww man I shot Marvin in the face"

"Go check the salad bar"

"Awwwwwwwwwwwww....."

Anyway, sounds like you;re pretty skilled, good luck finding another!

[/ QUOTE ]

I do have another job lined up, but was hoping not to have to do that. I think it's a better opportunity, but leaving/starting jobs always sucks.

rene

19. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Just tell him WTF man?????? Ive been here all this time,WTF are you doing? Ive gone along with YOUR plan this whole time.Your rules..............so why are you switching now??? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif Tell them to get one of the new guys going on that shift instead of you. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Good luck Rene, sorry it had to work out that way though. I hope the new opportunity works out for ya, it's funny how alot of the time when this kind of thing happens you end up in a better situation anyways. Everything happens for a reason. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif